I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bobby Feazel 3mm/3.5mm test
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 02:23AM

Bobby;
I did some more testing with the guides almost like you requested.
With out going into all the details like last time (it’s late don’t feel like doing all the typing)

Using 15 lb fluorocarbon, I set a rod up with three different guide patterns all spiral wrapped

1- 9- 3mm guides and tip
2- 5mm, 4mm, 3.5mm, 6-3mm and tip
3- 5mm, 4mm, 7-3.5mm and tip

Rod 1 casts the shortest distances by 2 to 4 feet.
Pitches shortest distances also.

Rod 2 and rod 3 cast close to the same distance on average, but rod 2 had the furthest cast during the test by 11 ft past the other. Rod 3 had the second furthest 4 ft past rod one.

Rod 2 consistently pitched further then either of the other two with rods with rod 3 coming in second

Rank by performance
Rod 1 Good
Rod 2 Best
Rod 3 better
The reason I did not do an all 3.5mm set up was because the improvement of putting the larger guides on the rod with the 3mm was so much I decided to just keep the three larger guides for the rest of the test.

But now that I think about it I should have did the test with all 3.5mm, just to provide complete info, Sorry.
I would do so, but that baby’s in the dryer right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bobby Feazel 3mm/3.5mm test
Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 07:16AM

Steve

Many thanks. Another variable I probably failed to mention was that I do not do spiral wraps. All conventional.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Date: February 12, 2008 09:07AM

Bobby;
I do all spiral wraps.
How many guides us using on a seven foot rod to keep the line off the blank?
I may play around a little with a conventional wrap just to see the difference.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 10:54AM

Steve, I appreciate the testing you're doing on this and would love to see a similar test for spinning rods. I'd do it myself if I had the guides and the weather.

Looking forward to meeting you and those rods in NC.

Chuck

Date: February 12, 2008 12:08PM

Chuck
Bill Batson will have a couple spinning rods on display. One with the micro guides down to size 2mm

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 12:26PM

Steve

Email sent.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 02:55PM

Fantastic Steve. Thanks!

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 02:20AM

I tried to explain that to my buddy the other day. I helped him build his first rod and we tapered the guides down like rod number 2...and he was saying it didn't cast as far as his production loomis that pretty much uses 3 sizes of guides much like rod number 3. I tried to convince him otherwise but he still belives his production loomis' are better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster