I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Elrod thanks you-finish help
Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: September 10, 2001 12:58PM

Well, thanks everyone for the tips and help (especially Sully). I have discovered a few things. One, I am very picky. I took the rod I felt had a terrible finish on it to a hunting and fishing expo (used it as a demo rod to cast) and everyone thought the finish was perfect. They didn't see the imperfections I did. Second, I work methodically and slow. That is OK (contrary to what some believe) I will either mix two batches of LS or go back to Crystal Coat. Third, I was amazed at how "most" of the bubbles came out on there own with the LS. I guess I am not used to them because I can never remember getting bubbles with Crystal.
At any time if I portrayed I was blaming LS for the difficulties I was having then I retract that. I realized before my first post that I either didn't like LS due to personal preference or I was doing something wrong. Actually, the reason I tried LS is because so many of you like it and use it and I figured there must be something great about it. I have use Crystal Coat without any problems, my only complaint is the fumes and multiple coats. I am not giving up on LS, it is successful for a reason, I just need to decide if it matches what I desire out of a finish and certainly would not base that decision off of one experience.
Again, thank you for all your input, that is what I enjoy so much. I like to here what others are doing and how they handle challenges.
Elrod

Options: ReplyQuote
Elrod... take heed with Ralph's comments
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: September 10, 2001 02:30PM

Elrod,
I am no epoxy expert, but I do know we should follow two things already brouht out in general about mixing.

1. follow prescribed manufacturer recommendations for mixing. If it is to be 1:1 on the mixture, then this should be followed for 'OPTIMUM'
results. not .8:1 or 1.2:1 or anything other than 1:1. These are precise determinations that each product has been thoroughly tested for.
Ralph O'Quinn has given his exact response to this idea and it should be adhered by rodbuilders for the best predictable results.

2. The optimum of mixing 3 cc's of resin with 3 cc's of hardner of LS Supreme will allow the rodbuilder the least headaches and the BEST finish results.

Use less, or mix unevenly at your own risk of producing a suboptimal finish. It takes much more than casual observation of 'testing' on a few rods for any reliable outcome for the facts. Many repetitions are in order for the results to be clear and unbiased. It's difficult to accept any small sample survey for conclusive interpretation.

Sorry, perhaps this is not colorful language meant to impress, but it is the fact of presenting the correct mixing as the manufacturer intends the use of their product being in your best interest.

Hope you will take the product creator's viewpoint on this subject as it will provide you the best results.

Take heed
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 10, 2001 02:43PM

I think we all agree that the manufactuter's mixing ratio and instructions are the final word on the best way to do these things.

It is possible, however, to deviate from the instructions given and still get acceptable results. However, the farther you deviate, the greater the chance that you will run into problems. Most finishing problems can be traced to a finisher who made mistakes, cut a corner here and there, or just didn't measure, mix or apply the finish in the manner in which it was intended.

I have mixed minute amounts of finish and had it set up perfectly. Others do it all the time. But the risk for having a problem develop with a very tiny batch is likely to be much greater than with a larger batch which allows a bit more margin for error. Ralph's brief discourse on the economics of finish is well taken.

Considering the time and trouble we all put into our rods, the finishing of the wraps is not the place where we want to risk shortcuts, "good enoughs", or a few pennies.

I hope you work your finishing problems out and will continue to experiement with various finishes. You may find that the CC is the best product for your personal use. The only way to know is to try several and see what you can do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster