I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Huddleston Swimbait (large soft swimbaits) suggested blank????????
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2008 03:26AM

Hello Everybody,

I have seen alot of board members suggest the SW967 as a good swimbait rod. There is a local here in California that is notorious for catching MONSTER bass on swimbaits. He has a custom made SW967 and he does not suggest it to be used on Huddleston's. The following is the reasoning:

"The SW967 has a parabolic action. This action is
great for hard baits like
MS Slammer, AC Plug, Triple Trout, and BBZ-1.

This is not a good rod for Huddlestons though. The
big difference is in the
amount of power needed on the hook set. With a
rubber lure, you need a
stiff rod to drive the hooks in because the fish can
clamp their teeth in to
the rubber. With a hardbait, you don't need that."

The following is what he suggest the right blank should have for fishing Huddleston's shold possess.

"Generally I would look for a blank with strong backbone, and only a little bit of tip - just a little bit for the fight but not too much. I like stiff rods for any rubber swimbait on the hookset."

Do any of you have any suggestions on a good blank that might work for this application or might be able to help me look for the right blank?

What am I looking for in the spec's of a rod blank when I'm looking for a rod blank for this situation?

Thank you for all of your help, guidance, wisdom and patience.

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Huddleston Swimbait (large soft swimbaits) suggested blank????????
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2008 06:13AM

Tony;
I do not have any impute for a blank for that situation, but really appreciate you sharing that information form the man that routinely fishes with baits that large.

We do not typically use anything that big in this part of the country. But it will eventually filter this way as the smaller versions already have and having that knowledge should help me determent the best blank to look for.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 28, 2008 07:23AM

On baits up to 2 oz., an 846 Mag Bass blank may do the trick great. If you want more than that, I think many musky rod blanks would really fill that description. Probably ones listed as Medium.

Thanks,
Marc

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2008 07:43AM

Lami 927F

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 28, 2008 08:32AM

I have built rods on two different Rogue models that seem to fit your description.

SB 807 and SB 808.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lactaw.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: January 28, 2008 11:01AM

Tony,
we have a big bait rod designed to throw those type of baits. The 2008 model number on that blank is "XC967". Previously it was "XLB961MH".

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2008 05:48PM

Do any of you have CC numbers for any of those swimbait blanks?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2008 07:54PM

Mike:

Ain't enough pennies in the Fed Reserve!

At present the only real numbers I am dealing with is ounces of counter weight for the butt cap extension. I may consider thangine this unit of measure to pounds or kilograms!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster