I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson IMB944 - Frog/swimbaits??
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2008 08:28PM

I am looking to build a rod to throw frogs and some smaller swimbaits on. I want something 7'6 and found this one. IMB944. Here are the specs.

7'10" Line:12-20 Lure:3/8-1 1/2oz. Butt .685 Tip 6.0 Fast, HVY

This seems to fit pretty good but I dont want 7'10".

What would happen to the lure range if I cut this down 4-6"??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson IMB944 - Frog/swimbaits??
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 08:36PM

This blank was designed to be a frog blank. I am building it right now for the exact same purposes as you. to throw frogs and smaller swimbaits
Has enough beef to get them out of grass, and throw long distances and is short enough to work a frog with out wearing you out like a longer rod
Batson RX8+C865
7'2" Hvy- Fast -1 12-25 3/8-1 1/4oz blank weight 2.52oz. Satin Black, 0.580 6.5 Jig / Slop / Frog

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2008 08:40PM by Steve Gardner.

Date: January 27, 2008 08:41PM

Steve,
Who carries that blank?

Date: January 27, 2008 08:44PM

Talk to;
Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle (931-684-6164)

Date: January 27, 2008 08:46PM

Scott you might consider ordering some of the 3mm guides he has, to put on it to help lighten it up some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2008 08:47PM by Steve Gardner.

Date: January 28, 2008 11:00AM

Steve,
WHat kind of spacing are you using for those 3mm guides. Or, what sizes to get down to 3mm on a spiral?
Thanks,
Scott SHeets

Date: January 28, 2008 09:16PM

Not sure yet just put the handle on this week end. In fact all I did the week end was put handles on rods. will start wrapping them tomorrow. But don't know if I will start with that rod.

But I can tell you I will most likely start with an 8mm or maybe a 7mm because I might use it to flip with some times in confined situations, and will want a little extra clearance between the line and blank to grab the line when flipping

Apart from that I usually start with a 6mm double foot then go to a 5 - 4 then 3's or smaller to the tip. But this is a personal rod first time using this blank so I might play around with it a little, and cut the 5 and 4 out going with hall 3's after the stripper guide. But I will be using 50 lb braid on it so I won't go smaller then the 3mm.

Date: January 29, 2008 07:34AM

I emailed Bob at Custom Tackle yesterday. He did not recommend the 3m guides for the 50lb braid. Have you used these guides with that type of setup?

Date: January 29, 2008 11:43AM

Scott;
No I have not set one up with 3mm guides that I would be using 50 lb. braid on. But this is my thinking and why I’m not concerned about it

I really don’t think it will be a problem for these reasons;
1-I have a rod I use 20 lb. braid exclusively with 2mm guides on it and casts like a rocket.

2-I have experimented using 40 lb. braid on a rod with 2.5mm guides and it will cast about 60 ft. not far. But the times I will be using 50 lb. braid will be times when I’m in close flipping or pitching and not looking for distance. The same if using 50 lb.braid with a frog, my casts are generally short target specific.

3-The difference in the size increase of 2.5 mm guides to 3mm guides is far greater then the increase from 40 to 50 lb. braid, which will give my line a larger ratio of clearance to work with while passing through those guides.
This in itself should further my casting distance

4- The times I will be using it for a swim bait. I will be using 15-20 fluorocarbon that I know for sure will give me all the casting distance I need.

Of course this could change after I do casts testing. I will know for sure by the end of the week

If you are not in a hurry to build the rod and are coming to the show? Look me up, I will have it there with 50 lb braid on a reel so you can play with it if you like.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: January 29, 2008 04:24PM

Let me go back and clarify what I should have said. I am not concerned with braid or mono passing thru the opening of these tiny guides. What I was referring to, was the fact of the guides holding up to 50 lb. braid and the massive, "Gorilla" hook-sets that these type rods encounter. I understand these hook-sets, as I am guilty of the same thing. Some old habits are hard to break!!

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 04:29PM by Custom Tackle Supply.

Date: January 29, 2008 09:32PM

Bob
I understand. And actually w/ a frog rod, regardless of we feel as builders, a gorilla hook-set is a must. We all know how low the hook-up percentage is on these baits anyway, so when they bite you do need to drive it home. What sizes do the micro guides come in? Is it possible to find a midground?

Date: January 29, 2008 10:06PM

5mm-4.5mm-4mm-3.5mm-3mm-2.5mm-2mm
But currently all you can get is down to 3mm.

Date: January 30, 2008 09:15AM

Scott -- Could you clarify when you ask, Is it possible to find a midground? I am just not grasping what you mean. Steve is right on with the sizes.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.org)
Date: January 30, 2008 01:46PM

Sorry Bob,
I guess what I am wondering is if say a 3.4 or 4 mm guide would possible work better w/ 50lb. braid, and horsing a fish than say the 3mm guides. It would still save us some weight, and possibly reduce the chances of inserts breaking. Does that make any sense?? Remember, I havent seen these guides yet. I am going to be ordering a blank and some guides soon from you Bob. If my question doesnt make sense here I'll clarify when I call in the next day or so.

Thanks again,
Scott Sheets

Date: January 30, 2008 04:02PM

Scott -- I now understand more of where you are coming form with that question. These guides are so new to the rod building world, here in the United States and our ways of fishing, that I don't think all the answers are back to us yet. This may be a trial and error issue for a while. 50 lb. briad is a totally different animal than what these guides were really designed and to be used for. Sometimes when products like this come along, we need input back from actual, real, live fishing conditions, that individuals will put the test of these guides thru. Sometimes we just cannot push the ege as far as we would like to. I am with all of you and truly like to see rods built as light as they can be built, but here again, 50 lb. braid brings on more talk. Just like around here, fellows use heavy braid and crank their drag all the way down, with a pair of pliers. Drag will not slip at all. Being there is no stretch in braid, what is going to start to give when you wham a hook-set - the guide frames, the guide rings, the blank. I am all ears and waiting for feed-back about these guides and using them for heavy applications. And I do understand why folks want to use them. I am not sure if going up a size or two may help or staying with the size 3 will be just fine. Time will tell.

Date: January 30, 2008 05:39PM

Scott;
If you go to my member gallery (Steve Gardner) in the photo section you can see some pictures of the micro guides. All except the 2mm guides which I was out of at the time the photo's were taken.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster