I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod finish
Posted by: mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 09, 2001 07:23PM

Fairly new to rod building,I made 2 fly rods and used flex coat had problems with both the reg. and the lite, 1 didn't get hard and had to recoat it and it got hard but when I keep it in the car on a hot day the finish seem to get soft when it cools it hard, the other the finish dried to fast. I read pro and cons on the dura gloss supreme, is there a one part finish that some one has used with good luck like ,perma gloss or gudebrod 840 rod finish or 822 rod varnish or any thing else, thanks for any help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod finish
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 09, 2001 07:58PM

There is nothing wrong with either of the Flex Coat types which you used. You just didn't get the proper mix ratio. Do a search on finishes and see all the info that has been shared here in the past few months. All the epoxy finishes work great provided you use them correctly. Flex Coat is probably the #1 finish brand on the market and it didn't get there by causing problems.

If you have trouble with 2 part finishes you could try Permaglos by the U-40 folks. Link at left. It is a one part finish but takes several coats to build up depth. More fool-proof I would guess.

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: September 10, 2001 06:26PM

if you aren't allready, use the syringes to mix the flex coat, I had the sticky problem early on as well, I think it was from an un-equal mixture. also make sure there is no air in the syringe to take up space, and give you an uneven mix. Also, maybe try stirring it longer, I find,that if you don't mix long enough, it won't dry quickly. it can also leave a haziness, sort on like an oil slick on top, I think this means it is not mixed enough.

Posted by: Kerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 11, 2001 01:26AM

also it is important to pour the finish out of the mixing cup so you don't happen to get any unmixed or incompletely mixed finish to apply to your rod with the obvious results.

Kerry

Posted by: frank kurant (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 11:39AM

went to my local drug store and bought a tube of medicine cups made of plastic,they hold 1 0z.they are graduated in ounces,drams,cc's,mm's and tablespoons,I use the 5cc mark for one part of the epoxy and then fill to the 10 cc mark with the other part,,,,works for me,also they are 3 bucks for 50 of them so they are cheap and disposable

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster