I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish NOT past the thread wrap?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 11:29PM

I watched an older VHS on rod building and noticed the guy never went off the wraps with his rod finish at all. He also stated that the finish would "wick" and going off the threads was not needed when NO color preserver was used. The threads would absorb the finish and protect the wraps just fine. Going past the wraps was not needed at all. Odd?

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish NOT past the thread wrap?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 11:50PM

Artie Hebert, right?? I thought it was kind of odd but then again, I almost always use CP!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 12:02AM

A guy named Roy Brauer on the East Coast did the same thing on MANY saltwater rods claiming the same thing....his wraps rarely failed.but some of the old school gurus of rodbuilding denounced this behavior as being a "Fuax Pas".....its a very VERY clean look.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.atgi.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 02:25AM

Hi Guys.

I do not use CP, and I normally do not extend the finish past the wraps, on my guides. If I do by accident, I wipe it back to the edge of the wrap, with an alcohol moistened paper towel.

I personally like the way this looks, although it does leave the thread on the outer edge of the wrap susceptable to wear, if the finish coating the thread gets worn off.

I do extend the finish past the bottom of the wrap, on the female ferrule only (On one rod that i did not do this, the finish wore off and the thread started to fray).

In spite of this, I still like the way it looks, and will keep doing it.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 03:41AM

Funny you should post a question to begin this discussion. Over the years, the argument to apply finish only to the wrap, or extend the finish beyond and onto the rod blank, has come up, so if you conduct a search through the website's archives, you might find some interesting interaction. Last night, I was thinking about posting a similar question, since there seems to be a number of newer members posting......

One of the first rod building books I read was a book on building fly rods written by L. A. Garcia. I found his logic for keeping the finish on the wrap insightful and compelling. I became an instant convert. With every rod I have built over the last 8 years or so, I have always aimed at applying the finish only to the wraps. At least to the fresh water rods I build. I see no reason to extend the finish past a wrap. It adds nothing such as strength to the wrap, or any additional security to the guide. I find it more of a chore to remove finish from the blank as opposed to residual finish left in the wrap area. I have yet to experience a guide failure due to following this method.

To make a job come out right, paying careful attention to detail is important. I apply finish to the outer edges, and fill in the voids of all of the wraps before working on the "main" body of each. I use a small diameter crochet-needle that I have honed to a fine-point to apply the finish. It has been good enough for L.A. Garcia, and it has been good enough for me.

If applying CP to wraps beforehand was so bad, you would think the stuff wouldn't be selling as much as it has. I think that there are many builders out there that do use the stuff, no matter who makes or sells the stuff, and they had never experienced a failure due to applying CP to the threads.
I'm a believer that good guide and rod prep, evenly-wound wraps, and making sure the tag ends are secured under the wrap with adequate tension, is what makes the guide securely adhere to the blank. The finish is there to preserve and protect the wrap.

Until someone shows me real data that applying CP is detrimental to the wrap, I'll continue to use it when the mood and need strikes me.

PS., I also always shoot for a one coat, low-build finish, even when I use Flex-Coat High Build.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2007 03:02PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:55AM

There is a trick for rounding the finish off the end of the wrap that looks very nice. I showed it to Andy Dear a few years ago and I believe he starting using it. I'd do an article on it, but because each finish handles a little differently it becomes difficult to provide one set of instructions for all of them.

This is something I might add to a seminar at the ICRBE in February. I think it's the best of both worlds.

Posted by: Dewey Norris (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 04:03PM

What is low build?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:00PM

Generally, the water thin finishes such as any of the "Lite" versions or things like varnish or PermaGloss.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:53PM

Dewey,
As Tom pointed out, I do refer to low build finishes such as Flex-Coat Lite, and I occasionally use PermaGloss, which I believe gives great protection without the attending build-up, or need to "wick" away the finish during rod turning. But I do use high-build finishes such as Flex-Coat or Crystal Sheen. In fact, I use just about any finish available, and still work towards a thinly-built finish on my wraps. I'm not adverse to a little texture once the application dries--if all else looks good.

Tom, As much as I would like to attend the ICRBE, I don't see that happening any time soon. I'd welcome some insight on your tips in a future article if you can ever work out the details.

Posted by: Dewey Norris (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 25, 2007 06:31PM

Thanks for the info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster