I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lock Wraps?
Posted by: Jan Kleinau (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: September 12, 2007 04:07AM

Hello!

Can somebody tell me something about the "lockwrapping"?
What are the pros and cons of this method?
Is it really necessary or just a nice feature?

Many thanks,

Jan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lock Wraps?
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: September 12, 2007 06:11AM

The locking wrap is a security feature. It prevents the guide from being pulled out from the wrapping under any of those bizarre circumstances where the guide would face that kind of pressure.

If your rod is likely to get knocked about then it is pretty important.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 12, 2007 06:25AM

Pros? Many Cons? None that I know of. The extra wraps don't add much weight.

You can read up on one kind by going to the library. C2

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2007 07:37AM

The only con is that they take a tad longer to do

I've over the years replaced or rewrapped many single foot guides that have become loose with time or were pulled out one way or another. But I have never done this on a guide that had been wrapped using a Forhan locking wrap, unless the guide was actually broken

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: September 12, 2007 08:13AM

Another con (at least for me) is that is more difficult to align the guides on the blank once I am done wrapping.

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 12, 2007 08:45AM

I don't use them. Not because I think there is anything wrong with them I just don't like the way it looks. I use single foot cermit and sics more than any other guide and I have never had a guide come out from under a wrap. I am not saying it can't be done just that I have never had that problem.

Granted, I am very careful with my rods because I put a lot into them in the way of turning and engraving but even on the plain jane rods I use as loaners for friends it has not been an issue.

That being said, If I needed a hair bit more thread and finish on the tip end to tune up the balance on a rod I may be tempted. :-)

Ray

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 12, 2007 09:01AM

I have never personally seen one of my guides pull out, but I saw one pull out on a rod that my buddy made for his wife. He has 3 kids and they all go out together so it could have taken a beating.

Edit: I should have said that I do not normally use locking wraps on bass & walleye spinning rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 09:16AM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: September 12, 2007 09:14AM

I've had a few guides with locking wraps loosened up laterally (side to side) from being knocked around & tangled up in transport, but not pulled out.
I have broken 2 rods with SF guides with locking wraps, in both cases the guide below the break did not pull out, but the thread securing them actually broke. Actually the guide did slip out to a point, then the locking wraps broke. I dont' know if I'm explaining that clearly.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2007 09:14AM

You wouldn't notice them unless you looked very, very closely. Most fishermen over the age of 40 or 45 would never suspect them without some strong magnification. We're talking about 3 extra thread winds on regular security wraps and about 5 on the Forhan wrap.

Rich developed his variety in order to keep bass fishermen from ripping the guides out when removing rods from rod lockers in bass boats.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: September 12, 2007 09:22AM

I believe it is also one of the extra features that seperates custom rods from production. Once you get good enough it takes only seconds longer than traditioanl wraps. Don't use a lot of tension and there is no issues adjusted guides after wrapping. Also don't worry about gaps while wrapping, you can burnish them after you are done. No real cons I can think of.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2007 09:53AM

Spinning guides are less susceptible to pulling out but it does happen. I find them most useful on single foot wire snake guides. I've had these pull out several times until I started using this feature.

If you unhide your email, or send me one, I'll send you a tutorial I did to augment the library article. If done correctly, they actually look good on the rod and definitely a custom feature you don't get on a production rod.

Terry

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 12, 2007 09:56AM

I puta Forhan wrap on EVERY rod that I make with Single Foot guides. Takes less than a minute extra per guide and I prefer the way they look and work. I see no CON whatsoever to them. It's on more thing that a builder can do that makes their rods better.
I have no problem making minor adjustments to alignment after a Forhan wrap. If you can't adjust, they may be wrapped to tight.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 10:40AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 12, 2007 10:10AM

I use the Forhan locking wrap on each and every single foot guide I wrap without an exception. It just stands to reason to do all I can to make the best, most durable, most efficient fishing tool/toy I can, since I build mostly ''plain vanilla'' fly & spinning rods. "Oh, it takes too long", to do what, the best you can??? If you're not building the best rod you know how to build, why bother?

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: mike harris (63.117.196.---)
Date: September 12, 2007 10:16AM

Funny about the whole eye of the beholder thing. I use them on every rod that I build, primarily for the intended purpose of keeping the guide from pulling out, but I feel that they look way better. A SF guide without a locking wrap just looks unfinished to me.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: September 12, 2007 10:34AM

When was the last time someone picked up a rod and inspected the guides close enough to notice wraps. Rodbuilder or fisherman? The only time people will notice is if the pictures are posted on the forums and someone makes a passing comment about the use of or lack of locking wraps. Outside of that nobody will notice or care.

Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 12, 2007 10:35AM

I build saltwater rods that are used heavily and under extreme conditions and I would never think of not using a locking wraps. With the advent of locking wraps we are able to use single foot guides like the Fuji single foot boat guide for rods in the 60 lb class and they are holding up really well.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 12, 2007 11:33AM

Like Mike and others, I use the Forhan wrap on EVERY single foot guide, spin and fly. "Seconds" someone mentioned above to add the Forhan and they're CORRECT! Very easy to do and it's became a standard practice for me.

Why would the guides be harder to move with the Forhan? They may be a TAD harder, but I dont have any trouble moving mine unless I have too much tension during the wrap.

DR

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: September 12, 2007 01:24PM

Since the first time I read the article in the library a few years ago I have been using the locking wrap. It is easy to do, quick and well worth it. I also have no trouble aligning the guides after word. I see no reason not to use it at all. Scott

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: September 12, 2007 01:54PM

If you've ever watched how a tournament basser treats their rods - you would never think to question putting the Forhan locking wrap on each and every single foot guide you install.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2007 04:29PM

Being a bass fisherman, building for and dealing almost exclusively with bass fishermen. I would not think of sending out a rod with out them on it.
I have seen and repaired way too many other rods were the guides have pulled out not to.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster