I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss cap problems
Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2007 05:54PM

I was having good luck storing my permagloss bottle until I had a lot of build up on the threads of the cap. I then broke it as I was opening in up and the permagloss hardened. What is the best way of getting permagloss from the bottle without getting any on the bottle threading so this doesn't happen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss cap problems
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 06:42PM

this looks good

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 08:13PM

William if you use the can( I've had Permaglos in it for over a year) just be sure you use the two holes. You will need it to vent the can when you refill.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.204.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 08:35PM

I keep meaning to switch to a can, but never seem to get around to doing it. In the meantime, what I do is open it and immediately put my finger over the hole. Tip it upside down and move my finger just a tad to let however much I want to use drizzle into another container. Cover tightly with finger, turn rightside up, wipe the threads with a rag. Remove finger and very quickly, wipe the top of bottle before capping.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 12:32AM

If you buy the 4oz permagloss, also buy a tiny "Testors" bottle of paint or better yet brush washing solivent, take the top off the permagloss and throw that plastic POS cap in the TRASH, and replace it with the METAL cap off the testors bottle and you'll never have permagloss problems again!

DR

Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.austinareaobgyn.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 11:14AM

I swab the threads with denatured alcohol and keep the bottle in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Haven't had any problems since.

Posted by: Tho Saykosy (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 03:15PM

I just wipe off any excess of the thread of the bottle and where the seal sits down of the bottle, never had a problem doing it this way.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (216.215.19.---)
Date: August 14, 2007 11:44PM

I rarely use permagloss, so I've been using the same 4 oz bottle for almost two years.

I put some silica gel in a pickle jar, and then nestled the closed permagloss bottle in the silica gel. I put the lid on the pickle jar, then put it in the fridge.

The permagloss is a little thicker when I take the bottle out of the fridge, but it thins out just fine when it warms up.

I bought the silica at a hobby store; it was being sold as a product for drying flowers.

Good luck,

Chris

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 15, 2007 08:34PM

I have an idea that the frequency of use and vessel opening will have something to say about the acceptable method of storage. I work out of cans with screw holes and use the product about 20 times a week. I would suspect that this large opening frequency would cause problems by opening a bottle that many times due to air exposure even if it was kept in a refrigerator. Jim I am a little uncertain about your refilling technique. I use two bottles at a time to fill a can. When it is empty I use a hot soldering iron to heat the top outside with the screw removed and pop it off and refill. How do you fill through a second hole?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2007 08:43AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 15, 2007 11:55PM

I am wondering if you could make a bottle out of a large syringe. Say something in the 1" dia. range and put an airtight cap of some kind on it.

I am thinking that with the syringe you can control how much extra air is in the "syringe bottle". When the bottle is half full there is no more air in the top of it than there was when it was newly full. The only concern is if the PG would eat the rubber on the syringe plunger.

Don't know for sure if it would work but its an idea.

Ray

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 08:49AM

Ray there is a stainless steel syringe available that holds 250 cc with a Viton or Teflon O ring that will work. The problem is that it costs roughly $ 150. The cans work fine for heavy use conditions. Here is a photo link to products that "amine sensitized" builders can safely use.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 07:19PM

I was doing what you were doing chris....all was fine until the cap broke. I think if I wipe off excess with an alcohol swap, I'll be fine. You just can't beat permagloss for a tough, clear, thin finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster