I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Boring Cork Rings
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: September 02, 2001 09:06PM

I'm building rods with a 1/2+ diameter at the butt section, and all I have is 1/4" bored cork rings. So far I've tried two methods: a regular drill bit - which I did not like at all because it would not cut a nice hole - some chuncks of cork would get cut out on the backside. I also tried a wood boring bit from Speedbor that I liked very much - it gives me a nice smooth hole straight thru the center of the ring.

The problem I have is that cork is getting thrown all over the place. I have a vacuum set up behind my lathe, whch works well when snading. But with boring the cork, it just doesn't do much good.

Does anoyone else do this, and if so is there an easier method then what I'm doing here? Do I just have to deal with the mess and just clean up when I'm done?

Thanks, Billy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Boring Cork Rings
Posted by: WISHBONE (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 02, 2001 09:26PM

a forstner bit is the way to travel but the chips are still there. I made a jig with a 1 1/4" forstner bit and made it about 1/4 inch deep. Then i use a drill press to bore the center hole. Using different size bits and then using a reaming tool, (or round metal file) I slightly ream them out to fit snug.

Posted by: Andy (---.umacs.net)
Date: September 02, 2001 10:56PM

I use the same method Wishbone describes and agree that quality Forstner bits (and yes they are expensive) are the best tools for the job. I have my shopvac set up to draw away most of the chips but its still a messy job. My turning/ reaming/ drilling set ups are in a separate building from my wrapping work so I don't have a dust transfer problem.

Andy

Posted by: Rick Funcik (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 02, 2001 11:59PM

Depending how your drill press's table is made, you may be able to build a vacuum port directly below the drill bit, so the vacuum pulls downward thru the hole in the cork and a hole you've arranged in the tabletop/drilling clamp. This should really suck!

Posted by: Arthur (---.bmc.org)
Date: September 03, 2001 02:12AM

I use a hole saw with a 1/4 inch rod
to replace the center bit.
this set up puts the hole on center every time
I have used this on over 1000 times
If you need more help e-mail me
Hope this is of some help
Arthur

Plenty of info available
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 03, 2001 08:50AM

We have done a quite a bit on boring cork rings in RodMaker. With a sharp spur bit (even a B&D Bullet Point) and the correct speed, you will get a nice, clean bore. We have discussed how to do this many times.

In one of our tips columns we showed a photo that depicted a "chip collection box" made from a cardboard box that fits around a drill press and captures all the chips and debris when boring rings. It does not require a shop vac or dust and chip collector in order to be 100% effective. Cost is a few pennies and maybe 10 minutes time to make.

One of our early issues also featured a cork boring tool which allows you to utilize a drill press to bore perfectly centered rings in a mostly "hands off" fashion. With it you can bore about 200 rings per hour and never have to turn off the press nor re-center any rings.

Re: Plenty of info available
Posted by: Eric (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 03, 2001 12:15PM

If weather permits, I do all my cork work outside. I even take my lathe out on the deck and clamp it to the top board on the perimeter of the deck. This completly eleminates all cork dust. To clean the lathe of cork dust prior to bringing it back in the house I blow it off with my yard blower.

Re: Plenty of info available
Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: September 04, 2001 09:57AM

Is boring rings really that much quicker? I use differing size dowel rods with grit applied via Elmer's wood glue. Takes a total of 10 minutes setup and fitment on a handle. I can't see where boring (including the setup) would save that much time unless doing huge production quantaties, plus doing them by hand gives a sense of craftsmanship for me.

Boring rings
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 04, 2001 10:21AM

Boring is much quicker. Normally one would do this to open up the bore to size closer to that required with any hand reaming done just to provide the final, perfect fit. I wouldn't want to take a ring with a 1/4" bore and use a reamer to open it up to 5/8"! I've done it, but found a better way.

I used to turn all my own cork handles in a steel mandrel. I would bore the rings to fit whatever size mandrel was closest to the size of the blank where they would sit and mount and turn them on the mandrel. After turning they were popped off the mandrel and reamed to get a perfect fit. Because they were bored so close to begin with, reaming took only a few seconds.

I used to keep boxes of cork rings with various bore sizes. When I would get in a big (5000 rings) shipment of cork rings, I'd spend an afternoon boring them to various sizes. The boring jig shown in an early RodMaker issue allowed me to do this very quickly. Only one set-up was required and the operation was nearly hands-off save for popping the rings in and out of the jig. No mess, no fuss and very fast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster