I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Missing Directions for LS Supreme
Posted by: Duckwump (---.arlington-40-45rs.va.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 01, 2001 09:07AM

I am a novice rod builder having built 5 rods. I ordered LS Supreme from Anglers Workshop but it arrived without any directions. I have been using LS 2000 so am familiar with the LS line of finishes.

I understand from reading various threads that I should not flame the wraps, Is there anything that is unique about LS Supreme that I should be aware of?

I had been using a microwave to warm (slightly) the resin in LS2000 to make it easier to measure. Is OK to do that with LS Supreme?

Any advice, tips, warnings, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Duckwump

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Missing Directions for LS Supreme
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 01, 2001 09:34AM

You can warm the resin if you like, but it won't likely be necessary. Once you mix the two component parts you'll find the mix to be very easy to work with - not too thin and not too thick.

Make sure you mix it thoroughly. Then, pour it out onto a piece of aluminum foil and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes undisturbed. This will allow any bubbles introduced during mixing to release from the mix, leaving a very clear mix for application. Load the brush and apply generously but without too many brush strokes, if you are using a brush, to avoid reintroducing more bubbles. If you are applying with a spatula, this won't be much of a problem. Cover the wraps thoroughly and get them all done, then come back and remove any excess or touch in any dry areas. You'll have a good 30 minutes or more to do this so there is no need to rush. Large bubbles can be manually removed by toothpick or brush corner. A very gentle application of heat from an alcohol lamp may help, but you must go very easy on this. You don't want to "cook" the stuff like some do on the other finishes. That will only result in more bubbles instead of less.

I think you will do well to use two applications rather than try to get the required depth with one application. Please read the thread below on LS Supreme to learn more of its working properties.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: September 01, 2001 03:14PM

Mr.Duckwump
You are the victom of somebody's foul up. Probably Anglers Workshop (Attention Wes/Jim Britt) as Trondak doesn't allow mistakes to happen in the plant. Even if it was our mistake we will still blame Anglers Workshop -- they just make a better fall guy than we do. There is no way you should ever receive a kit of LS Supreme without the instructions, by all means contact Anglers Workshop at once and demand your right and due. It should be maild to you immediately. If they are out, then contact the Trondak plant, explain the problem and they will be happy to mail you a copy -- after thoroughly chastising Anglers Workshop of course.
Sorry bout that
Ralph

Posted by: Duckwump (---.arlington-40-45rs.va.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 02, 2001 11:03PM

Thanks for the advice. I did email Anglers Workshop about this but they did not reply.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster