I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carp Rods
Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.aps.anl.gov)
Date: August 31, 2001 05:36PM

I thought I would run this up the flagpole for fun. Is anyone making carp rods? The reason I asked is that I attended a carp fishing seminar recently, and talked to a fellow who had 800 bucks wrapped up in 2 matched rods from the U.K., and another 500 in the reels, not to mention the fancy bite indicators and other expensive stuff. The rods were both 12 ft, and only carried about 6 or 7 guides. As I looked at the rods, they reminded me of surf rods in action. Of course you know that these type rods are rated by "test curve", which is how much weight it takes to deflect the rod tip 90 degrees from horizontal. The rods I saw were 1-1/2 lb test curve. Just thought I'd give you all something to ponder over t
he long weekend. Have a great holiday.Bob Vasko

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carp Rods
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.90.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: August 31, 2001 07:34PM

[www.carp.net]

Good source of info on carping in general with a lot of links on the home page. I have been carping for almost 40 years and was really excited when I found this site. Carping is an addiction worse than smoking.

As near as I can tell not many of us in the states fish the European/U.K. method using limp, long rods and boilies.

Most of the carp rods, at least down south used at pay lakes, are between 6 and 8 feet and medium to medium heavy action. We mainly use pack baits also.

I built a new set of carp sticks this year using Seeker CBW709's. They are only 7' and a little heavy. I am now fishing a lake that I need an 8'. Just got in 3 Seeker CLB806's to build after vacation.

Re: Carp Rods
Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 31, 2001 10:16PM

Mike, thanks for the input. I just thought that if the carpers are willing to spend that much money on gear, it might be worth the effort to build a few. I just didn't know what type of blanks to use, and I certainly can't afford to experiment. I hope we get more responses to this thread. Bob Vasko

Goggle Search
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.73.mhub.grid.net)
Date: September 01, 2001 08:41AM

[www.google.com]

Here ya go Bob! Will take all night!

Carp rods...
Posted by: Dorge (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: September 01, 2001 11:47AM

Mike;

You need to try Talon's carp blank. That 12ft 2 piece 3 pound test curve blank is one of the good one I have used. They make 5 of them from 12 to 13 ft. Price is very comparable to the british blank I purchased. If you are after monster carp you need to try the 13foot 3.5 lb test curve Item:392. It is really a great blank for just under 9 oz, 8.8 to be exact!!

You are so right in saying that that look like surf blanks. Actually I use daiwa Emblem XT as my carp reel. But there is a much nicer one that you do not even need to use a bit indicator anymore. Daiwa had make a bait runner Carp reel

[www.daiwaseiko.co.jp]

And if you use the Low riders Guides it is really a very good set up. I got a 3 piece 3/5 pound test curve IM8 Enghlish blank that I rewrap with low rider!! The improvement is quite significant. You guide count will still be 7 but for one brad line while throwing boilis are really no longer a issue. Can we say far and away deep channel sitting if finally a easier deal!!

Do not get me wrong carp set up is not a cheap deal, a good set of rods and reels can easily set you back $1000 for the pair, but when you get a 50+ lb on the other end of the line and you are in the middle of heart land; salt water is not in reach. There is really nothing better. One last note, in missippi river now there is Asian grass carp and big head carp both can go over 50 with grass carp approaching in the 70+lb... Sturgeon season is so short, now we got something better. Chinese sweet bokchoy in chicken rig seems to work in low current condition for me!!

Happy carp hunting..

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><{

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster