I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Febwick Feralite - Guide repair and wrap colors
Posted by: Chris Holm (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 11:42PM

I picked up a Feralite 1282 IGFA 20 lb. class boat rod. Contact with Fenwick indicated the rod is from 1967. Guide #6 (size 12?) got whacked and needs to be re-shaped. A machinist friend thinks this can be done but I would appreciate any guidance.

I need to rewrap all guides. Fenwick couldn't tell me the wrap colors although the tag wraps are surely white. The main wrap might be 0541 Medium Brown or 5274 Chesnut. Anyone know for sure?

My intention is to restore the rod, some practice for future challenges.

Thanks a million.

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Febwick Feralite - Guide repair and wrap colors
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 12:20AM

I think I've seen both colors, but the one I seen,( mostly the brown blanks), and use is 5274 NCP with NCP white trim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2007 12:26AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2007 09:05AM

5274 Chestnut was a Fenwick staple throughout the years.

I would just replace the guide with a new one rather than go to all the trouble to try and reshape it. I'd assume it's a heavy metal boat guide, perhaps even carboloy. Would you have a photo?

Date: March 14, 2007 11:45AM

That's three votes for 5274 Chesnut so I will proceed accordingly. By the way on the custom rod builders guild forum, Chesnut came up as did the apparent history that Fenwick used a proprietary dye to make "Fenwick Brown", NCP541 was offered as an alternate color. This sounds plausible given the nature of the Feralite line. I will get a photo of the guides up this week. Thank you and Spencer Phipps for your replies.

Date: March 14, 2007 08:18PM

No, that information isn't quite accurate. 5274 wasn't an alternative, it was the exact thread and shade.

The thread that was custom made for Fenwick by Gudebrod was released shortly afterwards as #5274 Chestnut. The demand for the color after consumers saw it on Fenwick rods is where that particular shade of brown originated. So #5274 Chestnut is the exact match for the "Fenwick Brown." Both regular nylon and NCP were used depending on rod model.

After 1981, the white tag moved from NCP white to a painted tag. According to Vic Cutter, who should know, this was done because Fenwick was having trouble getting the brightest possible white on their darker color rods.

Date: March 14, 2007 09:02PM

Thanks Tom. If Vic should know then I should know Vic. Please enlighten me with his bio. Have a great evening.

Date: March 14, 2007 09:46PM

Vic Cutter was the production manager for Fenwick for many, many years. He probably knows more about Fenwick history than anyone else alive at this point.

Fenwick wouldn't make their brown thread available for repairs to various tackle shops and this was in the day when rod and reel repair was quite common. Most all tackle shops offered one or both. So Gudebrod relented to consumer demand and just released the thread under the #5274 Chestnut designation. Obviously, dye batches varied and still do, but it was the same model color.

Date: March 14, 2007 10:43PM

I checked in with Vic and here is his response:

Hi Tom

You're correct about the 5274. Gudebrod made it for Fenwick as a proprietary thread and then introduced it as 5274 to answer customer demand because Fenwick wouldn't sell it to dealers for repairs. There was a counterfeit Fenwick rod problem at the time.  At different times Fenwick made rods using both NCP and Regular types of 5274. Also Many early Fenwicks pre 1980 used a white thread tag wrap. In 1980-81 production most of these went to a white paint stripe. And not for the reason that most folks believe-" because it was less labor and thus cheaper". In reality we found that to get the brightest white with thread we had to use color preserver. The white Automotive lacquer proved to be brighter, easier to apply and much more durable.

One word of caution about the description of Gudebrod #5274- As you well know all thread is produced in batches of a specific color and Gudebrod was not very good about maintaining quality control on this or any of their other colors. I know that Fenwick's QC staff rejected thousands of spools of 5274 in the late 1970s and early 1980s because the color was not a match for our standards. This thread was returned to Gudebrod and I know for a fact found it's way into the consumers hands as #5274 1st quality thread. It's for this reason that it can be hard to match some Fenwick rods with currently available threads.

Hope all this info helps.

Vic

Date: March 23, 2007 09:28AM

I have posted a picture of the guide that is the other half of this post. Search on Fenwick guide. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster