I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trigger on fly rod
Posted by: David Leonard (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 08, 2007 09:25PM

Was wondering if anybody else had tried this (not much new under the sun...). I have a short 9wt fly rod (6 1/2 ft) that I thought would feel better while casting if it had a trigger grip. So, I put a Fuji exposed blank reel seat about four inches ahead of the 'normal' reel seat and cork in between. It does feel nice. Haven't decided if I should trim the trigger seat back a little bit, as the flat surface that a casting reel would be sitting on feels good under the thumb. On the other hand, if I just added another stripper guide and a bumper guide, I could fish the thing either way. When the digital camera gets fixed, I'll post a picture for admiration or deprecation....

==dave==

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trigger on fly rod
Posted by: Dave Gibson (---.metrocast.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 07:57AM

Interesting concept David. I've always noticed that fly reel handles have a tendency to move around when I'm casting and I have to continously readjust my grip.

the trigger idea is a great one. Match that up to a bluewater outfit 12-15 weight and there may be some interest.

I've always tried to push the boundaries with fly fishing, trying new reel seats, handles, and guide combos. Some people are just so traditional they want "what everybody else has".

I think your idea takes the Beavertail grip that Angler's roost been pushing for years to the next level, especially since I see no benefit with their grip where I see a lot of benefit with this blended design.

Great idea!

Dave Gibson

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 08:31AM

Instead of using an entire reel seat, maybe get an iPS-trigger and glue it into teh grip. All it is is the trigger part of the reel seat, nothing else. CUt a square out of teh grip and epoxy in place.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 03:29PM

Interesting idea? Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Keith Cokely (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 03:46PM

What I've done in the past is put, (sand), a flat spot on the upermost section of the grip in 180 from the guides for the thumb. It is comfortable, does not add any weight, and eliminates the tendancy for twist.
Keith

Date: March 11, 2007 08:10PM

BV - that was what I thought of first, but didn't have one on hand, so used the Fuji ECSM instead. Plus, that seat has a very comfy (to me, at least) trigger. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to cut it back. It would be easy to simply cut the threads off, but might look even more interesting with some creative rotary tool use. Plus, like Keith says, the flat spot under the thumb is good, too.
==dave==

Posted by: Allen Sarbida (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 02:51AM

Can you post a pic of the finished product? I'm thinking about doing the same thing with a surf cating blank that I'm building. Unfortunately they don't make reel sats with 24mm on up with triggers. There is a local builder in my area who I believe shapes them out of blocks of graphite ( I think). Looks pretty noce but I'm sure with some dremmel work the Fuji trigger should work well.
Good luck

Allen

Date: March 12, 2007 08:57AM

I'm in the market for a new camera - old one has been lost - when we get it I'll post a pic or two.
==dave==

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster