I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Remove tip
Posted by: Gary L. Rose (---.nas1.holland1.mi.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: July 29, 2002 08:29PM

Anyone know how to remove tip that has been glued on with five minute epoxy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Remove tip
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.detroit19rh16rt.mi.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 29, 2002 09:10PM

Mask off the treaded portion just prior to the tip top itself and apply a flame trying to keep away from the taped area. Keep heating until the top pulls off the blank. Go slowly so as to just add just the right amount of heat to loosen the epoxy and not melt the blank.

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 29, 2002 09:48PM

Let me add to Chris's comments: Pull straight off, do not twist the tip top and pull, just pull.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 30, 2002 12:28AM

Here is what I do. I put the tip section in my rod lathe and attach a heavy rubber band to the tiptop via a piece of wire like a heavy paper clip or somthing (to try to insulate the rubber band from the heat) and stretch it under a good tension on the axis of the rod and secure the other end of the rubber band. Now I gradually heat the old tiptop near the tip end. when the tiptop tube gets hot enough that the epoxy/cement starts to flow the tiptop will fly off. Just did it on a real tough one (Kunnan). I swear, the guide wrap finish was so hard that it seemed like they had used regular epoxy. Was a real devil to get off to clean up for replacing the guides.

Kerry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: July 30, 2002 09:04AM

Bill and Kerry have added some great tip-top removal tips here. Yes, you should only pull a tip straight off - twisting a heated rod blank tip can damage the blank. The constant tension from a rubber band is another great idea.

Chris mentioned using tape behind the tip. It occurs to me that if you see the tape start to smoke, you need to back off. Another good idea. Thanks guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster