I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mooseskin Eva
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: November 13, 2006 06:40PM

Mooseskin eva, is it all the same from vendor to vendor ???? Does it shape easily ??? With what ?? Sandpaper or file or sheetrock file ???? Best glue Rod Bond.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2006 06:42PM by RICHARD WILLIAM SCHMITZ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mooseskin Eva
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 13, 2006 08:36PM

There are small differences in EVA depending on supplier, the true Mooseskin material I've tried was virtually identical from color to color. I use drywall screen to shape than sandpaper.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 13, 2006 10:01PM

Mouseskin or Mooseskin was originally a Bullard product. The name has spread although the material may not be exactly the same.

I concur with Spencer on the drywall sanding screen, 60 or 80 grit if you can find it. RodBond is fine as are most other 2-part epoxies.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2006 10:26PM

I'm pretty sure that the original name was Mouseskin, not Mooseskin. Bullard imported it but it was eventually sold to a lot of places. I used to find it all over the place here in Florida. I guess they could have bought it from Bullard.

Never heard of Mooseskin but wouldn't be surprised if somebody is selling something by that name these days.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 04:11AM

Mooseskin® is actually a registered trademarked brand of EVA foam grips, blocks, triangle shaped grips and other EVA products. The most popular 24" straight grips come in 20+ colors. It is a high quality custom blended high density EVA, that is easy to shape, does not absorb water and is not spongy like some other brands of EVA. Merrick Tackle holds the trademark, and is the exclusive distributor of the product.

We sell the Mooseskin® brand of EVA to retail customers. It is very popular. Aside from solid colors there are 4 CAMO versions and a number of variegated colors. You can view the color chart on our website [www.ackfishing.com]

It also comes in solid blocks and the triangle shaped grips. The blocks come in black as well as color also. The triangle and other size grips mostly come in black only.

So, yes there are dealers selling Mooseskin® The distributor that sells and imports it (Merrick) is in NY, we are in CT. I do not however know where they get it from.

Peter Maltby
ACK Fishing & Tackle
866-285-0673

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 07:44AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are small differences in EVA depending on supplier,

I find it varies greatly.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 08:10AM

Thanks for all the replys, I place a order with ACK last nite, will let you know when box comes.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.233.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 08:26AM

The original EVA offered by Bollard is no longer available. IMHO the idea that EVA (Ethylene Vinyle Acetate) is a custom blended for custom rod builders is a stretch. The quantities required to custom blend EVA, on a special order basis, for custom rod builders (no OEM's use colored EVA in any quantities) and import it into the USA are just not available in the rod building industry. Todays EVA is mainly supplied from China, with a few factories providing 95% of the EVA sold to the rod building industry. In the rod building industry, EVA is imported by only a few companies (many of whom by from the same factory in Asia) and re-sold thru distribution channels. It would not be a stretch to say that all EVA is basically the same with the exception of color and density.

Mud Hole offers a wide verity of EVA for your rod building needs at:
[shop.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 01:00PM

FWIW - I used the colored blocks from Merrick, adn teh Customgrip from Clemens, and there is a MAJOR difference between teh 2. I believe Merrick & Versitex sell teh otehr colored stuff, and Customgrip is hard to come across. I have a rod I've used 75 time with CG, which I'v ebeen pretty hard on. I have another rod I've used 3 times, taken it on the same boat as the CG rod, and that rod has 3 tears in teh EVA. Coincidence...definately not, when I knock off the ocrners from teh Merrick blacks it tears and gets relly messed up, whereas with teh same exact tool to knock of corners wht CG is in perfect shap. Teh MErrick blacks feel really hard and dense, until they are shaped and sanded down, swueeze them hard enough and they will have a squeeze print impressin which is almost impossible to remoce without light sanding.

All EVA differes from batch to batch, the MErricks stuf is VERY consistant. The White is useless though, very songy and deforms VERY easily. THE CG White is OK to use, but not nearly as durable as otehr CG colors. Red CG stinks, as ater some use and I think UV eposure, it turns a lighter Red color, whichi is basicaally a REd0Pink-ish color, wheras Merrick Red stays REd.

I'm NOT knocking any EVA suppliers, just posting the truth based on my use and abuse of teh various EVA's. If you fish NORMAL conditions, where your rod isn't banged around or abused, it really won't matter which EVA you use. For me, the boat I was on on Saturday ha dno rod sholders, and my rods were stoed in a garbage pail (no lie), and a reeel leaned up agaisnt one of my grisp and dented it permanantly. For me, I know the limitations of each EVA. For you, buy as much as you can and figure it out on your own. EVA is DIRT CHEAP, so there's no excuse to rely on anyone's opion except your own.

Posted by: Michael Shea (58.162.69.---)
Date: November 14, 2006 05:22PM

I have to add my two cents as well. I've got a number of the Mooseskin EVA grips from ACK Fishing also and found that they are definately harder and more easier to shape than the other EVA grips that I've previously used (from a variety of different shops). In terms of longevity, well I can't answer that yet as I haven't used it long enough, but at this stage I would say it would be just as good as the conventional EVA if not better.

BTW Pete, have you received the email I sent you regarding the other grips I've ordered yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2006 05:24PM by Michael Shea.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2006 09:41PM

Hi Michael:

Yes, I have. I have not forgotten about you. Check your e-mail in a little bit.

Pete

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster