I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Blanks
Posted by: Eric (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 26, 2001 12:09PM

This line of blanks is new to me, but appears to be an excellent value. I have a customer interested in a fly rod and was considering the Rainshadow IM6 blank in 8 ft. for a 5wt. line. Would appreciate opinions from those of you that have experience with these blanks regarding their quality, performance and warranty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Blanks
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2001 01:05PM

I have built two Rainshadow blanks. A 9' 5wt 2pc Xcel (higher modulus than the IM6), and a 6'6" 2wt IM6. Both were straight as an arrow. The Xcel is a very smooth and powerful caster. Both were very good values. Sorry, I don't have experience with the 8' 5wt IM6. I'm confident the quality will be there, but I can't comment on how it will cast or fish.

I haven't had a reason to use their warranty (knock on wood). Sorry, no help there.

Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 26, 2001 01:30PM

It is a much better blank than the price might lead you to expect. I know of several rod builders who have built their private label rod businesses around these blanks. They have the utmost in confidence in them.

As soon as Bob builds an 8' 5wt in the Xcel Series, I will own one.

Posted by: TomH (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: August 26, 2001 03:24PM

I have built 3 rods so far using the rainshadow series of blanks. All have been in the 9 and 10 wt. range. One I built for a customer who asked for it and the other 2 for people who just wanted a good action blank. The Wcel's are really nice casting rods, nothing wrong with them as far as performance goes. The problem I have had is that the people are not too inthused about the finish of them, very dull, less luster than a St. Croix. I personally like the performance of them but they aren't too spiffy looking, and unfortunately that's what sells sometimes. Just my humble view point.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: August 26, 2001 04:49PM

I know Rainshadow blanks are reputable and wanted by custom rodbuilders, that is why we have become a distributor in Canada for these alongside with St. Croix and Shikari.
When comparing finishes, it's a difficult thing to meet everyone's preferences. St. Croix for example describes some finishes as matte spruce green in the SCIV and SCV legend series. Their SCII blank finishes are described as satin black, and personally I like this finish. The SCIII series are matte grey finish, but they look black to me and also pleasing. The Shikari describes in 'eggshell', gloss and so on, all pleasing finishes.

As custom builders we go for both performance and appearance, indeed I stress that many times. I think you'll find rainshadow blanks pleasing enough to accept their appearance with their performance ratings and the prices are fairly easy to live with often described as entry level. As Tom points out they are a better blank than the price would lead you to expect and thus is attractive to offer.

I've yet to hear much of any negative reports about rainshadow and the reputation of Bob Batson with guaranteeing their quality preceeds them. A great product. We're proud to have them on board with our line up.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel Service

Posted by: Andy (---.umacs.net)
Date: August 26, 2001 07:31PM

I've now built a number of 5 -8 wt rods on Rainshadow blanks and have no complaints whatsoever. Some folks like the matte finish others don't. For those that want a gloss finish I have applied this to the blanks.

These blanks are excellent value for the money.

Custom Rodbuilder Supplies also distributes Rainshadow blanks in Canada (see link on left).

Andy

Posted by: Eric (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 26, 2001 08:37PM

Andy, what did you use for the gloss finish?

What kind of warranty comes with these blanks?

Posted by: Andy (---.umacs.net)
Date: August 26, 2001 10:01PM

Eric,

I used 3 coats of PermaGloss applied with a foam applicator. There are folks who will apply a 2-part finish for you (don't know the cost). I understand that Bob is going to produce these blanks with a gloss finish due to the demand for such.

The best person to talk to regards the warranty is Bob Batson but here is my understanding. Lifetime warranty to the original owner of the rod (warranty transferable from the builder) against manufacturing defects. If you break it in a car door they will replace the broken section for a very reasonable charge.

Andy

Posted by: Coach (---.gnt.com)
Date: August 27, 2001 09:27PM

I have built several rods for freshwater bas and bream and for flats in saltwater. These are good blanks and make a very nice rod.

Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: August 28, 2001 10:24AM

I built an IM6 9ft 5wt. Good rod, but I felt lacked power I was used to in other models. My wife loves it though. Slow/Moderate action suits her, but not me. I will be trying the Xcel version next time hoping the high modulous will speed things up.
elrod

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 03, 2001 12:30PM

I've built two 2 pc. 6 wt IM6, a 4 pc. 6 wt IM6, a 7 wt 2pc. IM6, a Baitcasting 7' med-Heav. with a Roberts wrap and a 7' Popping rod , also IM6 and a 10' 7wt. fly blank built as a "float 'n fly" spinning rod.
I've had mixed feeling from customers on the fly blanks. The blanks are rather slow action & seem somewhat tip heavy. I have had one fly blank break about 4" from the tip. This has been returned but I have not received back so....
Three of the five owners of Rainshadow Fly rods I've built absolutely love them. One much prefers faster action rods and has sold his to a friend (that loves it.) The other bought his as a spare to use if he ever broke his Sage rod & hasn't yet used it.
The casting and spinning rods have gotten very good reviews. The casting rod was built for a tournament bass fisherman who won a tournament the first time he used it.
All in all, I think these rods are an extremely good value, especially the spinning & casting blanks. I haven't tried the Excel series.
Newcomers to fly-fishing who don't yet want to invest a lot of money couldn't do better than the IM6 Rainshadow Blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster