I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bonehead move on inlay
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: September 18, 2006 10:13AM

I'm looking for ideas to solve a problem I created on a feather inlay. The entire inlay process went well until I scanned my finish for blemishes or bubbles. I found a bubble on top of the inlay and proceeded to cut it off with a sharp razor blade. I accidentally cut too deep after the second coat of finish dried and there remains a depression even after the third coat was applied. Is it possible for me to eliminate the scar with another coat of finish or just chalk it up to a learning experience? I could kick myself in the ---!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bonehead move on inlay
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 11:59AM

Don't take the chance of getting your foot stuck in the wrong place! Simply look at beautiful feather inlay from a little longer distance. Hope you did not cut completely through the finish and get a part of the inlay with the cut. Don't know what your finish is but most regular or high builds will easily cover a trimmed area if it was done in a reasonable manner. If you apply another coat of finish do so by hand turning and leaving the area in question on the top side a little longer for leveling. Take care to remove excess from the bottom.

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2006 12:25PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 12:18PM

Bruce,

If the inlay isn't damaged and you have some good epoxy over and around the cut area, just take some 400gr sandpaper and a popsicle stick, wrap the paper around the stick and sand down the area in question to make it more even. It doesn't have to be perfectly even SO DONT SAND TOO FAR, the epoxy will fill the impression, but the LESS of an impression you have, the easier and better it will fill.

Should be a real easy fix!

DR

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 12:24PM

Duane brings up a technique I've used with flex coat high build. On one guide I somehow applied an excess amount of epoxy which led to the "droopies" on the other side of the guide. I found it the next day....allowed it to dry for an additional 12 hours and then took my jewelry file and ground it down. Recoat with epoxy and all is well in the universe.

I agree that using the same technique you should be able to knock down the area surrounding the impression and in the end make it way less noticeable.

D

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 02:16PM

You have to remember that we are just building fishing rods, not doing brain surgery or building a moon rocket. "IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT" Jesse

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nrflva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 02:35PM

One of Jesse's favorite sayings is........Oh! I can't say his favorite saying here!.......his second favorite saying is "only another rod builder is going to notice that"!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 03:39PM

Ain't no feathers on his Uglies either! That is unless the bird had black and silver feathers!!

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: September 19, 2006 07:15AM

I looked at the impression I made over the inlay again and it appears I may have gotten the razor blade right down to the feather. The feather isn't damaged, but I'm still worried about filling the the pinhead-sized hole in the finish. I put the last coat on Saturday evening. Is it dry enough to try and sand now?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 19, 2006 11:49AM

It was dry enough Sunday. You will need to lightly scuff it now to get good adhesion between the finish layers.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster