I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perma Gloss
Posted by: Kerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 24, 2001 02:46AM

I am having trouble applying Perma Gloss with out streaks or bubbles. I am using a very soft artists brush with a square tip about 3/8" wide am applying it to small areas that used to have part of a very long Guide wrap over it. I follow the instructions and poured out a small amount into a separate container. I dip my brushs' tip into the finish then to make sure I don't apply too much, I invert the brush so the bristles are up and apply to the rotating blank from below. No matter how carefull I am there are some very fine streaks as well as some small bubbles. Can any one tell me how they successfully apply this finish?
Thanks for your time. Kerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perma Gloss
Posted by: Andy (---.umacs.net)
Date: August 24, 2001 08:03AM

I've had very good success applying PermaGloss using a small foam "brush". I use the cheap ones available at the local hardware store and treat them as disposable. I know some folks use a foam make-up applicator. I apply very little and use a long smooth stroke to apply the finish.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 24, 2001 09:01AM

Andy's tip is a good one. I believe he told me about it previously and I tried it. Works quite well.

Posted by: Petro Chem (---.powerinter.net)
Date: August 24, 2001 11:59AM

I use the makeup sponges- they work top notch, but no handle like the foam brushes. Makes it very easy to apply a super thin coat without objectionable buildup of the 'Gloss. Long, continuous strokes, end to end without stopping are the key to a good finish with Perma Gloss. Oh yeah- and a very dust-free environment minimizes bumpy dust inclusions in the finish.

If you require more than one coat- which you may if you go with some type of sponge applicator- rub the previous coat lightly with a light grey Scotchbrite pad between coats. Helps adhesion of further coats, and knocks off any dust that may have settled on the drying finish.

Good Luck

Tom

Posted by: Andy (129.237.146.---)
Date: August 24, 2001 12:34PM

The dust free enviro. can't be stressed enough.

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 24, 2001 12:58PM

I also have been using the foam brushes for quite some time now. I thought I would add one more tip that may be helpful during the application process. Don't load the brush with too much finish. Try adding the finish as though the brush is just slightly damp. It will give you a thin finish that looks as though it had been sprayed on. Be sure to allow enough drying time, and scuff between coats.

You will be pleased with the results.

Good luck,

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Kerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 24, 2001 03:36PM

Guys

thanks for the great advice! I am going out and get me some sponge applicators.

Kerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster