I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Factory Authorized Perigee Blank Sale
Posted by: Todd (---.vanc5.pacifier.com)
Date: June 20, 2001 02:23PM

Lamiglas has authorized a sale of the Perigee series blanks. These blanks will be reduced by 20% at retail. They are available only through our 4 select dealers. For those of you who have been riding the fence on this great blank series, this is the time to try one out for an even better price. Remember this series is only available to custom builders, Lamiglas does not offer these blanks in a production rod.

The dealers who will have them available are:

Custom Tackle Supply
[www.customtackle.com]

Clemens Tackle
[www.clemenstackle.com]

Merrick Tackle
[www.merricktackle.com]

Anglers Workshop
[www.anglersworkshop.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Factory Authorized Perigee Blank Sale
Posted by: John Kreeger (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: June 20, 2001 02:52PM

Todd,

I guess this is a case of "ask and ye shall receive." Thank you very much for doing this. I will be ordering several in the next few days. I assume there is a deadline to this sale?

Posted by: Todd (---.vanc5.pacifier.com)
Date: June 20, 2001 03:31PM

John, did you not know that our company motto is "Ask and Ye shall receive"? Seriously, it had been a consideration and your input just made me look at it better and contact the 4 distributors for their input into whether or not it would be acceptable.
There is a deadline, I believe it is the end of August but very honestly the sooner you get your order in the better as we have a limited number in stock and each of the dealers are limited also.

Thanks for the nudge, Todd

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.infoave.net)
Date: June 20, 2001 03:48PM

At Custom Tackle Supply we are proud to be a supplier of such a great line of rod blanks, that are only available to custom rod builders. There is the 20% off the retail pricing for the hobbyiest builders and there is also additional savings that is offered to the rod builders that are licensed for re-sale. Either way, Lamiglas has authorized special pricing to encourage you fellows a little. Now is the time to try one or to stock up on these fine blanks, while the price is at substantial savings. There are fly, spinning and casting, salt, surf, steelhead, salmon and crankin/popping blanks. For a full listing of these blanks, you can visit the Lamiglas web-site, that Todd has up-dated. Contact us via e-mail at customtackle@united.net or call us at 931-684-6164 and we will gladly assist you. For the Lamiglas Perigee listings, go to:

www.lamiglas.com/perigee2001blanks.htm

www.lamiglas.com/perigee2001pricereduction.htm

As John Kreeger mentioned, you fellows ask for a "Perigee Sale" and the fine folks at Lamiglas responed. We appreciate Lamiglas and Todd working with the custom rod builders. Take a look at the up-dated list of Perigees and pricing on their site and let us know if we can be of any help.
Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Jeff Thomson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 21, 2001 12:13AM

How do these blanks compare to the St. Croix Legend series?

Posted by: Andy (64.39.196.---)
Date: June 21, 2001 07:58AM

I'm going to give these blanks a try. I haven't build a 2 pc fly rod in some time - my customers have all been wanting 3 or 4 pc rods. I've seen the Perigee travel series listed as having an "extra fast action". I have a customer (potential) who is a real beginner and I've been considering what action might be best. What do people think is the best action for a beginner? I've thought that a slower action might be best to learn with.

Andy

Beginner help
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: June 21, 2001 08:54AM

I don't think the particular action is nearly as critical as making sure the person is fishing with a line which will load the rod at his or her particular fishing distance. If they are fishing small streams, in close, then a line which is one weight over the rated line weight can be a big help.

For normal distances, say where the fisherman will be holding 30 feet or more in the air on the cast, the rated line weight is fine.

Tom Kirkman
RodMaker Magazine

Re: Beginner help
Posted by: Andy (64.39.196.---)
Date: June 21, 2001 09:25AM

Tom, thanks for the insight. I'm looking at a rod that will be used primarily for bass fishing. Hence, casting distance and presentation aren't the (really) critical issues.

BTW - I used the finish you suggested for the reel seat insert - excellent.

Andy

Date: June 21, 2001 09:53AM

I also want to mention that I built my first Perigee a few weeks ago and it is an extremely light, yet powerful rod. I am impressed with it.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.r8.tncphl.infoave.net)
Date: June 21, 2001 01:59PM

The 2 pc. Perigee blanks are a medium action and the 3 pc. blanks have a faster action. Some folks class the SC4 Legends as a fast action, but to me they are a med/fast.
Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Re:comparison
Date: June 21, 2001 02:34PM

Jeff,

I really, really like the Legend series from St. Croix. Extremely nice blanks and among my very favorite all time blanks. I finished out an 8' 5wt last month that almost casts itself! St. Croix has done their homework on these!

The Perigee's are almost to good to be true! Even lighter than the Legend Series. The reason has to do with the slightly larger diameter, thinner walled construction which gives the same stiffness at less weight. I have never broken a rod - I am not hard on my tackle. The only reservation I might have with the Perigee is the durability issue. I would expect that if you treat your equipment with anything even approaching reasonable care then you will never have a problem. I have only fished mine once thus I cannot report on the long term durability, but I have not heard of any problems in this area. I really like my 8' 4/5 Perigee and plan to fish it hard this fall. Again, very, very light and pleasant to cast.

Outright comparison between the two? I cannot say one is better than the other, but they do feel very different in the hand. I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other.

Tom Kirkman
RodMaker Magazine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster