I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule wrap length
Posted by: Dale Clement (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 08:04AM

Hello, my name is Dale and I'm new to this site. I just registered on Rod building. My question is. Is there a formula to figure how long the wrap should come up the ferrule on fly rods? DOes it have to do with the diameter of the female end or the weight of the rod?
Thank you for any help.

Dale

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule wrap length
Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: June 10, 2006 08:31AM

The usual formula is to make the wrap length 1 1/2 times the diameter of the end on the female ferrule. Particular attention should be used in placing the wrap as close to the end of the ferrule as possible.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 10:51AM

If the blank is also available in Production model I will look to see how far the mfg wraps the ferrule, some companies reinforce this area, some know it needs the extra reinforcement that additional length ferrule thread wraps provide.. I also use a reinforcing ferrule wrap, 1st of all I don't put a guide directly on the ferrule so there usually ends up with about 3-1/2" of bare blank between the 1st tip section guide wraps and the ferrule. I wrap the very end of the tip section at the ferrule and then locate how far the butt section extends inside the tip section and mark it on the tip section. I place another smaller section of thread on the tip section that just covers this overlap mark and extends toward the 1st guide on the tip section. The tip section is vuneralbe in two places to failure, within 1st 12" from the tip dop down and between the butt/tip section overlap and the 1st guide up from the ferrule. This additional wrap reinforces this vunerable area just in front of the ferrule. If you plan things out, and the overlap is not skewed greatly one way or the other... the three thread wraps can diminish in length as they progesss down the tip section, and when things rreally work out.... SO TO, the spaces between them.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 10, 2006 01:37PM

I think that the consensus is about 1 1/2 times the diameter of the female end.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 09:41PM

Chris,
Why do you not put a guide on a ferrule?
The advise I have received suggests just the opposite.
Not to put you on the spot just very interested in your opinion.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: June 13, 2006 08:08AM

Raymond,

I sent you an e-mail directly to RCadams1957 on 06.12.06 that should more specifically answer your question of why I don't put a guide directly on the ferrule.
The two basic reasons are: putting a guide directly on the ferrule and the subequent tip section guide spacing then increases the leverage over this vunerable area. 2.) I engineer a guide spacing that allows the outfit to be strung-up/rigged for fishing producing the smallest possible package for transport through dense cover, your trunk , or in a rod/reel tube. The rigged rod sections are mated such that the longer butt section (on both ends) protects the frailer tip section and does not allow a portion of it to protrude out , making the overall package to transport bigger and then it gets hung up easier on the surrounding terrain your attempting to negociate.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: June 13, 2006 09:37AM

Thanks Chris,

Yes I got your email but I dont remember if I replied to it yet.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster