I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

a "newbies" set up
Posted by: lori friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 08:21AM

Hi there. I have another question for you experienced rod builders. I was wondering what the "initial set up" for rod building would cost a newbie such as myself. hubby wants to start buying all the different materials and things I will need to get this off and running. but was wondering what we would be looking at price wise? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a "newbies" set up
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 08:51AM

Lori, honestly, it will cost as little or as much as you want to pay, really. You can buy a lathe setup for several hundred dollars or make some wood V blocks for pennies. Other than that, you'll be paying for materials. Rod components, thread, finish, some epoxy, a few hand tools if you don't already have them.

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.block3.gvtc.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 10:45AM

Lori,

We traded some messages on Corpusfishing.com. My "initial setup" from several years ago (which I'm still using) cost me about $400. This included the following:

Flex Coat Hand Rod Wrapper, 18rpm finishing motor, and Flex Coat Rod lathe.
Small belt sander for guide prep.
Various epoxies (5-minute, slow cure, and finishing) and color preserver
Modest selection of Thread
Burnishing tool/scissors/razor blades/brushes/alcohol/acetone

In Corpus, much of this used to be available at Roy's Tackle on SPID. What they don't have, many of the sponsors on this board can provide. You can go crazy and get power wrappers that can hold a dozen spools of thread but for a beginner you may just want to get your feet wet first before jumping all the way in. Also, you need to consider type of rods and handle assemblies you want to make. Do you want to glue rings directly to the blanks and turn down on the blank, build handles separately on fit to the blank, or use preformed handles. Will you use cork, foam (EVA/hypalon)?

A couple of books may also be recommended too:

Tom Kirkman: Rodbuilding Guide
Dale Clemens: Advanced Custom Rod Building

Good luck.....Bret (ArtB8)

Date: May 05, 2006 12:47PM

Thanks Bret! I went into breakaway (out on the island) and bought Artie Heberts video. So far I am understanding everything...just need to get my set up....then i can begin the fun. everyone says this is addictive and that is fine w. me. Want to help hubby support his fishing habit! HA! I have the patience for this....where he does not. so it should all work out well. I am just anxious to get it started! Thank you again for all of your help. :)

Date: May 05, 2006 12:56PM

Bret

one more question. do you know of any rod building classes that are offered here in corpus? just thought id ask. thanks again for all your help
:) Lori

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:13PM

Lori,
I think that Tom's book will be the best $15 you will ever spend on this addiction. This is just my opinion but you might want to consider something like the Flexcoat HW-1 hand wrapper (You will see it in Arties video)for around $60 at this point instead of a power wrapper. There are numerous power wrappers available and they all have their pro's and con's. It would be a shame to spend a few hundred dollars and end up with something that doesn't meet your needs. Their are a LOT of long time builders that don't use power. I recently bought a Pac Bay power wrapper and while it is a fine wrapper, I don't think that it is any where near as convenient as hand wrapping and the only advantage (for mr) would be long underwraps that I don't do anyway. It is good for sanding/shaping grips if you don't have a lathe (make sure that you get the upgraded chuck though)
Get some catalogs from vendors/manufacturer's (Mudhole has the biggest, best and most helpful catalog/website in the industry, IMO) to familiarize yourself with the components, products that are available and decide what you want for a first project. Come here with your questions and go for it! You don't need much to build a rod and it will give you a better idea if what equipment fits your needs..

Most products are good but in my opinion, Theadmaster finish is not only the best but the most user friendly finish available. Rod Bond is indispensibl!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.block3.gvtc.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:24PM

I do not know of any local rod building classes. There used to be a guy in San Antonio that would show you how to build rods and charge for components, but, I think he went out of business.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:31PM

Lori,
Click on the DIRECTORY button near the top of the page and pick Texas. There are a lot of Texas builders listed. Don't if any are close, but I'd bet that you would be able to get some hands on building lessons

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 05:48PM

Lori,
If Big John Blair in Rio Hondo, TX is not to far from you contact him.
He is a great guy and I'm sure would love to show you the ropes.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: George Henson (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 08:19PM

Nick at Breakaway is also a wealth of info also, he is one of the best guys around and is happy to help anyone that goes in there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster