I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

plate type reel seat??
Posted by: Anonymous User (63.166.216.---)
Date: May 05, 2006 07:22AM

I have an All Star 1384 (ok I have 3) and thought about putting a plate type reel seat on it. To get a tube type reel seat in the place needed I would have to use a size 28, it seems to bulky to me. One of the rods will a casting surf rod (I cut 6" off of the tip and tested casted 4 and 6 oz. very well.) and one (and possibly the third) a spinning. I have not used the plate type seats yet and wonder how much it would cut down on the "bulkiness"/size of the reel seat area? I'm also not sure how to attach/mount the plate. Any suggestions?

tiaght lines

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: plate type reel seat??
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2006 07:47AM

The plate is attached with regular guide wrapping thread. It affixes to the rod quite well, cuts down on bulk and holds a reel very securely. You owe it to yourself to give one a try. They're actually quite good and talior made for the application you're looking at.

Date: May 05, 2006 08:05AM

Thanks Tom.
Two questions though....Size of thread....Is C or D sufficient? Would I or should I double wrap?

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:33AM

I recently fell in love with plate reel seats for my surf rods.. I plan to either wrap the grips with cork tape and then attach the plated with C or D thread, or put the seat on a underwrap of A thread directly on the blank and then overwrap with C or D. I have also seen them epoxied directly into place but I don't think I will go that route.

The plate reel seats just make sense to me for some reason on surf rods where weight can be a real issue.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Mark Kissinger (12.111.218.---)
Date: May 05, 2006 10:24AM

I use black electrical tape to hold mine on and have never had any problems with it. I have a cork tape handle. You could do that until you find the ideal spot you would wnt the seat in and then wrap it with thread.

Mark

Date: May 05, 2006 12:51PM

Derek....I like the idea of mounting the plate on an underwrap. That really got the idea gears turning full throttle.

Mark....Electrical tape? I'm an electrician and couldn't count how many times I have gotten black "gum" on my hands from old tape. Either the tape is old or it has got heated. This hasn't been a problem for you? If not, phasing tape (colored electrical tape) would be neat to try.

Thanks for the input guys, definitely going to give the plate a go.

tight lines

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 05:22PM

I build several rods a year with plate seats. Firmness depends on how you're mounting the plate seat. If you're mounting directly on the blank you'll wind up with a firmer feel. Even if the plate seat is bound down TIGHTLY to the blank the design does not allow to really snug the plate seat buckle against the the reel foot - there will always be a little wobble.

Cork tape will give under the plate seat and you'll always have some give. Shrink tube type grips are a little better. Pebble-finish urethane rod grip tape probably is best next to a bare blank.

I use the fuji FS-6 plate seat, and sometimes add palm support (Merrick has them under partno PS120). I use size D black nylon to wrap all three lands to bind down the plate seat. If I add the palm support I have to make a portion of the wrap on the palm support first, then wrap the plate seat on.

I see many anglers using electrician's tape for hold plate seats on. It's ok, but it also has some stretch and give to it - many I think use more for the decorative colors of the tape. A better to use is that white medical tape that is fiber reinforced - it has NO stretch.

I know I have a pic of a finished butt section with a plate seat - I can't find it at the moment.....

Lou

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 11:57PM

Ditto on the palm support.......I build mostly surf rods for myself of two completely different extremes. Meat chuckers for striped bass and shark, etc in the surf, and much lighter weight long rods for coastal surf perch and casting 2oz lures or less for striped bass. An underwrap or wrapping the plate on a textured grip on the heavers is fine as they spend most of the time in rod holders, but I have to agree that wrapping directly on to the blank would be a better option if sensativity and bite detection was key. Would not go the electrical tape route, even with the colors that are out there now as they always seem to get "gooey" on me, but it does make sense as it allows the seat to be repostitioned.

Now if I can just find someone local to powdercoat the plate seats for me.........

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:25AM

If you only use a "A" underwrap under the seat you can match/ or high light the blank color and use a Open spiral "D" wrap to add a little "GRIP" to the Blank.after a coat of finish it should not diminish the sensitivity of the blank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster