I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Followup on Titanium v. Stainless discussion
Posted by: John Richardson (---.westcare.org)
Date: March 10, 2006 10:30AM

Mo's summary of the choices and advantages/disadvantages of titanium versus stainless has swayed me to go with the titanium esp. given the weight factor.

I spoke with Bill Stevens in Charlotte about guide sizes for doing a rod like this with a spiral wrap. His suggestions were a double foot 10, a single foot 8, and the rest (6 of them) single foot flyrod 7's. Given these sizes, should I use a 7mm ring or 6mm ring for the tiptop? I'm thinking I probably will use 10-12 lb test line on it.

With a spiral wrap, am I correct in thinking that I put the first guide at 0 deg, the next at 90 deg, and the remainder at 180 deg.?

Thanks for all the help.

-John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Followup on Titanium v. Stainless discussion
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 10:45AM

John,

I would use the same size ring for the tip as the running guides. I use 7's on the popping rods I build. For a "bumper" style spiral wrap, the 90-degree guide is placed half way inbetween the two guides closest to the reel.

Bret

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 10, 2006 11:14AM

double foot 10, a single foot 8, and the rest (6 of them) single foot flyrod 7's.

TLNSG size 10 = .010oz
BLNAG size 10 = .015oz

TUNSG size 7 = .005oz
BUNAG size 7 = .011oz

Does anyone else have the weights of these guides? This is what I got when I used my cheapo digital .001+/- scale in ounces.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 11:23AM

John,

Super!

Blessings,
Mo

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.186.180.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 11:51AM

I am with Bret
Also if you go Titan's, get a fuji top. The Titans don't have a Ti top.
If you do go a 6 top check the knots that have to go thought it. I would go 7

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:26PM

You are right on the guide placement for the spiral, but that placement is the "simple spiral" and you might want to consider a smaller, lower frame guide as the 90 degree bumper guide, so you would have 10, small bumper, 8,7,7 etc.. Most folk suggest a double foot as the bumper, and that's probably correct for heavier salt rods. I have had no problem using a single foot fly guide in 8 or 7 as the bumper on my steelhead and salmon rods.

Posted by: John Richardson (---.westcare.org)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:26PM

I've been doing some searchs on how to do a spiral wrap. If I understand it correctly, the first guide (closest to reel) would be my double foot 10, the next guide at 90 deg. would be one of the single foot 7's, and then the third guide would be the single foot 8 bumper guide at 180 deg. Is this correct?

Also, though right-handed, I am using a left-hand reel on this rod. I just don't want to be switching hands back and forth after casting. I'm too used to using my right arm for casting and my left hand for reeling. Given that, should the guide at 90 deg be placed on the right or left side of the blank?

Thanks for all the great advice you guys have given.

-John

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:31PM

John,

Don't count the "bumper" guide in your configuration. Use the number of guides that you normally would and configure them normally. Then flip everything but the butt guide to the bottom of the rod and add a small "bumper" guide at 90 HALFWAY between the butt guide and first guide on the pottom. It's sole function is to hold the line off the blank

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.186.180.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:38PM

To protect the bumper most put it on the reel handle side. Up to you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster