I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is a popping blank for?
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 08:50PM

I've been reading about bass and walleye guys using popping blanks for cranks and other smaller moving baits.

But what is a popping blank truly made for? And does it make sense to use them for bass applications?

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is a popping blank for?
Posted by: Noel Spann (198.214.51.---)
Date: February 12, 2006 09:09PM

Aaron,
A popping rod is used down here on the Gulf Coast when your throwing live shrimp or croakers under a popping cork. You chunk it out and jerk the rod to create a "popping" sound with the cork to simulate fish feeding to get those big ol' trout and redfish to come check out what going on.
I use a 7' 6" Rainshadow popping blank for my crankbaits when I'm bass fishing, works great for this application. I has just the right action to keep from ripping the hooks out of the fishes mouth.
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 04:04AM

on the same lines (being british we have different fish)
is a Muskie fresh or sea......is a walleye fresh or sea is the spey rod that you use the same as our spey rods where you basicly have a fly rod that you cast two handed IE another grip UNDER the reel seat ?????????????????????????????

i know they sound stupid questions from a rod builder and fisherman but like i say im british and if i started talking carp pike barbel cod and dab you probably be in the same boats im in lol
ta
allen

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 08:12AM

I use an 8' popping rod for cranking. I use it to fish small crank baits deeper. Holding the rod almost strait down with the tip in the water. By extendeing the tip 3 to 4 ft. below the water line it allows me to get small crank baits down an extra 3 to 4 ft' to were fish useally only see larger baits. Has been really productive for.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2006 09:13AM

Remember, that the definition and uses for all these various rod types is on the Glossary Page here on this site.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 09:21AM

Can the Glossary Page page be used by "bald headed builders" as well as those who are "dedicated"?

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2006 09:38AM

I suppose it depends on whether they can see it from the light reflecting off their shiny domes back onto the computer monitor. I'm sure that dedicated rod builders probably would be wearing some type of special rod building hat.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:09AM

Steve,
You are taking a bit of a chance by sticking the rod tip into the water if there is a large difference between the air and water temperature. Let's say the air temperature is 90 degrees and the water temperature is 60 degrees. In this case, at the point where the rod enters the water, there will be a 30 degree differential in temperature and very large thermal stresses on the rod as a result. One of these days while doing that you may set the hook on a fish and have your favorite rod break right at that point.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 11:04AM

He Gotcha, Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster