I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

No-mess way to extract finish from bottle.
Posted by: Doug Weber (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: June 19, 2001 01:23PM

I like the use of 3 cc syringes to measure out darn-near exact amounts of finish. What I do not like is the mess of finish on the outside of the syringe. Try as I may, I have not been able to overcome that until now. This is what I found as a cure, and it also speeds the process. The U-40 and Flex-Coat syringes all have a Luer-lock taper. They fit standard Luer components. I remember seeing shots given at a physicians office. The MD stuck the needle through a septum in top of the bottle and drew out only what he needed without contaminating the remainder. I gave some thought on how this could be done for thread finish. I also experimented a bit and spent some time researching methods.

I fastened a female luer fitting through the top of a spare plastic cap and held it in place with an external self-locking retaining ring on the shaft inside the cap. There was little if any gap between the hole in the cap and the luer fitting, but I sealed it with super glue. The fitting is held rigidly into the top of the cap and I have added a male luer cap to seal it.

To use the finish, I remove the male luer cap and put the syringe into the top of the female fitting. I invert the bottle and draw out what I need. No fuss, no muss, and easier to keep it accurate.

Now I will admit, that it took quite a bit of looking to find the appropriate fittings. However, once found, they will be in use for a while and the cap moved from bottle to bottle of the same material. I have adapted the same method to measure out Flex-Coat epoxy for assembly of handle and reel seat.

I found the fittings through McMaster-Carr, a large industrial supplier in Southern California. They have a presence on the web. If you are interested, send me a note and I'll mail you the details of how I rigged this assist.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No-mess way to extract finish from bottle.
Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 19, 2001 09:21PM

Fellows,
The same method can be achieved by using yorker caps. A yorker cap is one like you find on a epoxy glue bottle. It has a lid. Some finishes already come with yorker caps. The top is pointed and is used to dispense drops. The tip has to be cut open to the desired width. I install the yorker caps on my LS bottles and cut the tips to receive the surynge tip. Just invert the bottle and draw out the correct amount and thats it. After your finished the yorker tip has a lid that covers the open point. This will accomplish the same thing as Doug described in case you have trouble finding the necessary parts to make his assembly.

Just another thought along the same lines.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Re: No-mess way to extract finish from bottle.
Posted by: George Thurston (---.sanangelo-01rs15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 20, 2001 03:23AM

I use a 4 oz bottle and put a hole in the side next to the screw on cap big enough to put the syringe in, I leave the syringe in the bottle all the time. When I want to use it I turn the bottle upside down and extrac the amount that I need. it didn't cost me anything to make.

I'm embarrassed
Posted by: CB (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 20, 2001 09:44PM

I'm embarrassed to admit it but when my bottles get so low I can't easily extract that 'backwash' at the bottom, I toss 'em out and get a new kit!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster