I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for Spey Rod
Posted by: David Edens (---.dhcp.hckr.nc.charter.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 09:00PM

This is my first venture into Spey Rods. I have an 11'6" Forecast 6/7 blank. I started laying it out convinced I should use single foot wire guides over single foot ceramic guides for the weight savings.

Then it occured to me that I might want the ceramic guides (Forecast Blue Ring) for the better "castability."

I am an above average fly caster, but have limited experience spey casting.

I am building the rod primarily for nymphing on tailwaters and to learn spey casting.

Which guide set is the better way to go on this rod?

David Edens

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for Spey Rod
Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.102.---)
Date: January 16, 2006 10:28PM

Not long ago I was in the same position as you were. Ceramics seemed the way to go but I thought I'd ask questions too. Bob Meiser, the anointed guru of Spey on this site AND Forcast themselves (I'm building one of their blanks too-12.5ft, 7/8wt ), both recommended snakes over ceramic. I wasn't about to second guess those two opinions... I used snakes. I didn't ask about single foot wire because I've got a ton of snakes, so you may want to ask both of them what their opinion is of single foot wire vs. snakes. Please post any response you get. Both Bob M. & Forecast were quick to respond and very helpful with advise.

Tight Lines,

Tim

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: January 17, 2006 09:42AM

Hi David.

The only bad thing about ceramics is that you need reasonably large ones and they do weight quite much - even the titanium framed ones. With my next blank I've decided to get titanium framed SiC stripper guides and the rest will be single foot recoils. The tip will most likely be recoil too but I haven't decided on that yet; the other option is titanium framed SiC.

Since you're building a double hander (or spey rod as they are often called on the new continent), I'd say you don't gain much from the extra slickness of the ceramics since you won't be hauling. When the line is shot, the resistance is quite small regardless of the guide material.

Single foot and normal snakes weight about the same but with single footers you have less wrapping to do and that's where a little weight is also saved with single footers.

Cheers,
Sakari

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.nas15.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: January 17, 2006 12:22PM

I have built a number of those same blanks last fall. Those built with the ceramic ring guides were as easy to balance the rod as the one with snakes. The ceramics seemed to cast smoother although the skill of the caster still influenced distance. Just remember to mic the line and knots you are using so it will pass through the guides you choose. If your e-mail was not hidden, I could offer more help
Regards,
Kenneth Prager

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 04:39PM

David-

As I understand it (and how it was explained to me when I asked the same questions), a true spey cast in many different forms and by many different names uses very little shooting line through the guides. Most, if not all, of the line is out in front of you and on the water. Casting is an act of using the resistance of the water sticking to the line to load the rod and thus shoot the line back to beginning of the desired drift.

So with this information, does a true spey rodder need ceramic single foot guides, NO!

But, toss in these variables and ask the same question:

Multi-purpose rod, utilizing traditional fly casts, used for high sticking and the advantages of length in mending capabilities
Reduction in wraps thus saving time and simplifying the look. Single foots = 1/2 the wraps of snakes

I haven't done the testing, but I wonder....Would a single foot ceramic guide weigh less when completed than a snake foot? I would guess it would or that it may be very close?!
I would guess for certain (is that contridictory use of words?) that a single foot wire guide would be less than a snake.

I wrapped up my 6/7 11'6" Forecast with ceramic single footers because of the flexibility it provides. It casts like a dream in all ways and if I ever wanted to throw on a pin on it with mono line, that wouldn't be a problem either.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations

Posted by: Steve Perakis (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 12:24AM

Many folks shoot line when using spey rods, to varying degrees. Maybe nothing, maybe a few feet, maybe fifty feet or more. It all depends on one's chosen technique. I build mine with snakes largely because shooting line isn't a limitation in my fishing, and the added durability of snakes is worth it to me on the river.

The forecast 6/7 IMO is too much rod for most trout (its really an 8 wt), unless said trout happen to have spent some time in the salt.

Posted by: Sarah (217.20.84.---)
Date: February 06, 2006 07:40AM

The ultimate dream of many online entrepreneurs is to build a
successful web site and then sell it for thousands, perhaps
millions of dollars. Example: Sergey Brin and Larry Page, the
original creators of google.com probably had no idea they would
become so rich by creating a search engine web site. Hey, stuffc [h1.ripway.com]
happens right? [xes-pon.orgfree.com]

Selling a domain name is easy. Selling a site that you have
poured months or years of your life into building, promoting and
nurturing, is a bit more difficult. If you care about what
you've built and want to see it continue to succeed and grow, it
can be as difficult as selling one of your own children.
[xes-pon.orgfree.com]
Scenario: You are approached by someone who is interested in
purchasing your web site. Your first thought is that it's some
joke but you find it to be a genuine proposal. An offer is made
and negotiations begin.
[xes-pon.orgfree.com]

Stop! If the sale involves more than a couple thousand dollars,
it is in your best interest to get an attorney. Do this before
any contracts are signed or any money changes hands or you could [xes-pon.orgfree.com]
lose the proverbial "shirt off your back" AND the web site you
built so carefully.

<a href="[xes-pon.orgfree.com]; dish network</a>
<a href="[xes-pon.orgfree.com]; cheap voip coatch</a>
<a href="[xes-pon.orgfree.com]; marlboro cigarette</a>
<a href="[xes-pon.orgfree.com]; purses coach</a>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster