I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using Prizm hologram thread
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 02:26PM

Dear friends,

Some month s ago I received one spool of Prizm Hologram Thread. It's a thin metallic polyester tape (you cas see it here [shop.mudhole.com] ). The question is that I don't know how to use it. I vanted it to make narrow trims but I'm not sure it'll be suitable. Is there any way to use it without it to be "twisted"?.

Any other interesting use?.

Thank agai,

Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using Prizm hologram thread
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 02:37PM

Daniel,
It has NO strength and because it's so thin you have to much, much less tension in order to keep it from stretching, twisting and curling. It's only use / purpose is decoration.

Date: January 15, 2006 02:58PM

Is it to be wrapped and tied as any other thread but with no tension?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 03:01PM

Couple of 'choices' == yes you can try to wrap as any other "thread" - but it's probably easier to use Guebrod color preserver (or some fast drying glue ?superglue"?) to hold it in place rather than trying to pull the tag end back through under the overlaying "threads" - this stuff has a low coefficient of friction. That coupled with low tension = FRUSTRATION - at least for me.

Posted by: John Britt (---.9-67.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2006 03:08PM

Daniel-prizim is closer to ribbon then thread it will brighten up simple open wraps-chevrons by using just one or two strands lay them one at a time without applying tension or very little tension, the can if care is used as a single thread inlay-very bright and eye catching. It is even possible to weave with the stuff the key is using very little tension- using it as trim rings is very difficult as it will stretch very easily while pulling it under
John

Date: January 15, 2006 03:11PM

I had already thought about using cyanoacrylate glue, but I didn't kow if it could damage the other threads or giving problems with epoxy finish. Is there any problem on using it for these purposes?.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 06:26PM

Daniel,
I use it for trim all the time with no glue and without any problems. As the others have noted you can not pull very hard on it because it will stretch though. When I use it as trim I just wrap a couple of wraps of the thread that I am using over it and then wrap it and the other thread around the blank at the same time. When wrapping it and normal thread at the same time the lack of stretch in the normal thread will help prevent you from stretching the Prism tape. After wrapping it all of the way around the blank I just wrap a couple of more wraps of the thread that I am using over the top of the end and then trim off the end and continue with the rest of the guide wrap with the thread. It is a striking trim wrap when in direct sun light as it throws off all sorts of colors.
If you want to wrap a number of wraps of it I have found that it is easier to keep it aligned and keep it from overlapping, it is only a mil or two thick, by again wrapping it and another thread at the same time. This not only helps to prevent it from stretching but also helps to keep the wraps nice and even. If you use A thread in a color that matches the blank or color underneath you almost can not see that it was wrapped with another thread.
You also have to be a bit careful when packing the threads around it or the threads around it will slide up on top of it because it is so thin. Good Luck.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (71.142.45.---)
Date: January 15, 2006 06:57PM

Daniel good hearing from you. I just finished a rod using gold holo Prizm with red and black thread. In fact, I got the color idea from a red and gold wrap you posted months ago. I really like to use the holo Prizm when I want to draw attention to the thread work. Everyone really seems to like the look of the Prizm thread under the glassy clear epoxy.

I have not had any problems wrapping with the Prizm metallic thread and have not had to use any type of glue to secure it. Of coarse I've mostly used in on simple guide wraps and on chevron and diamond wraps. You can wpap it snug without much of a problem but too much tention will stretch it out and ruin it. Since its so flat/thin, I ususally wrap over its self 2-3 times for a bolder, deeper prizm look. But on smaller wraps I might only wrap over its self once of twice for a smaller , thinner trimband. I also had no problems burmishing my wraps with Prizm thread on them. Its so flat and thin it seems to lie much lower than the thread, even size A thread.

I wrap it like many people wrap thier trim wraps. I cut a piece of Prizm thread the lenght needed, lay it in the wrap, wrap over it 4-5 times to secure its tag, wrap the Prizm thread where I want it, and then wrap over the other end to secure it. After that I cut off both tabs from the wrap with a razor blade as usual.

I think I have already sent nyou a few photos of the my last two rods that had Prizm thread on the guides and butt wrap. However, in case you didn't get them I'll send you another set of photos.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2006 08:20PM

When it first came out, I did a bunch of weaves with it, mostly initials but also several fish weaves. One thing I noticed was that after several years it faded on one rod I used a lot. I stopped using it mainly cause it was so wide the weaves were blocky looking to me. Really sparkled in the sunlight however and I got nice comments from fellow anglers.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 09:22PM

Daniel, to avoid the twist you're referring to lay the prizm thread 20-30 degrees off parallel, and wrap in the same direction as the thread you're imbedding the prizm into. In other words, do not lay the prizm thread lengthwise to the blank like you would regular thread, but instead form a widely spaced spiral, and wrap over the first end to capture the thread, wrap a few turns, then bring out the prizm as you normally would a trim band. Finish off the trim band using similar a simlar angle and the prizm will not appear twisted at all.

Lou

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 16, 2006 05:02PM

I have used the prism thread a number of times now and like it. It is great for those trim wraps between the guide feet and isn't too hard to lay. I did a butt wrap a while back where I used random passes of different coloured prism thread to achieve an "opal" look. It looked fantastic in the sun. It has its uses but for me, smaller areas look better than larger areas wrapped in this tape.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster