I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Plans for a drill cork lathe?
Posted by: Ross Andersen (162.129.176.---)
Date: January 10, 2006 04:43PM

I have seen several of you have made a cork lathe for use with a drill. I see Flex Coat makes one but they are kind of expensive. Do any of you have plans to make one? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plans for a drill cork lathe?
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 06:58PM

hi Ross my first one i made by looking at the flex coat and it was real easy to make best of all 4 bucks for wood instead of using v blocks i drilled holes the same size as my dowels and clamped it to the desk kinda crude but it worked great for many years and still have it as a back up...........

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 07:28PM

Ross,
Get the Grizzly Hobby Lathe that uses a drill...awesome cork lathe for a min. amount of $$$

www.grizzly.com search hobby lathe

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 07:45PM

Grizzly Hobby Lathe Here's a pic [www.rodbuilding.org] Lathe and 1/2" drill well under $100 [www.grizzly.com] Get the grizzly drill to ensure compatibility as some drills have not fit. Very nice lightweight, portable set up. Combined with Andy Dears mandrel, It does a great job

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.212.madbbs.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 08:11PM

this looks like a super sweet set up but what do you guy use for center support for the rod or does it need it at all im asuming it would turning at high speeds.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.248.130.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 09:05PM

Rob. I have the Grizzly Hoddy lathe and your right.It is a sweet set up .The great thing about it is you can use it out side from you work area.Keeps the dust outside.
As it was stated above by Mike you put your grips on mandrels to turn and shape...........

Date: January 10, 2006 09:16PM

I always turn grips on mandrels. For me (being a klutz) it's much safer. I prefer not to risk damage to the blank. What I did with the Grizzly was order an extra head piece that the drill goes in. [www.rodbuilding.org] and use a $5 ATV wheel bearing [www.mfgsupply.com] in the drill opening. Put a masking tape bushing around the blank where it goes through the bearing and you're set to go.

I prefer using it with the normal tail stock and Andy's mandrels which have a machined taper inlet on the end that the tail stock fits right into. Just let him know that it's for a Grizzly and he will make it the correct length. The setup is great for cork/eva shaping. I just mounted it on a board and take it outside and set it on saw horses

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.212.madbbs.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 10:09PM

now thats what im talking about.... grizlly hear i come thanks for the great idea....

Date: January 10, 2006 10:29PM

Need any more info or help, shoot me an e-mail

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 10:47PM

You might like this idea [www.peninsulaflyfishers.org]

Mike

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.57.madbbs.com)
Date: January 11, 2006 06:14AM

i had a good imagineation at one time if i keep hanging out here i might just get it back....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster