I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal removal
Posted by: Stan Kulgoski (---.att.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 03:17PM

Need info on removing a water slide decal that was applied incorrectly, directly to the blank. The decal is in between two wraps. The wraps are protected with CP only. I contacted Decal Connection and Deb was unable to help. She suggested our forum for advise. Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal removal
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 03:33PM

Does the decal have anything over the top of it or is it just sitting on the blank between those two trim bands on each end of it?

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 03:40PM

Alcahol/fingernail if there is no finish on it

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 03:53PM

If the decal is "bare" with no finish on it place a small piece of wet cloth on the decal. Keep it wet for 10-15 min and remove it. Should work for decals teated with CP since water will soften the CP to begin with.

Lou

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 04:11PM

All of the above will work if you have not applied finish. If you have simply do a thread overwrap and then forget the mistake was ever made.

Gon Fishn

Date: January 09, 2006 07:14PM

Thanks everybody. Putter; the decal has no finish of any kind, its just sitting there all discombobulated. The CP is on the trim wraps only. To compound the problem, the bad decal (water slide) is on the bottom half of the blank while a decal (stick on) of a snook is on the top half. I'm afraid that if I use a strong solvent it will ruin the the snook decal.

Date: January 09, 2006 07:43PM

Micro Sol from Decal Connection will remove it with about four brush stroke applications.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 11:13PM

The Micro Set is the decal remover; brush some on and let it sit a bit and the waterslide will come right off. Tip the rod so that the waterslide and the snook are on the sides of the rod on your supports so that none of the Micro Set gets onto the snook while removing the waterslide, Stan. That should keep problems to a minimum. I'm not sure what effect the Micro Set would have on the CP & the trim bands. I'd keep a paper towel real handy in case the MS starts migrating towards the thread w/CP to keep any problems from occuring.

Putter

Date: January 10, 2006 09:40AM

As always, you guys are the best. Many thanks and tight wraps.

Date: January 10, 2006 11:51AM

The Micro Set is an non ionic surfactant and aids in the surface tension reduction that will allow decals to be moved around on a surface for exact placement.

The Micro Sol is a softening agent to shrink the decal and firmly stick the edges so that finish undercutting will not occur. The Mirco Sol is the one that will soften a decal film for removal with repetive coatings.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 12:25PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Micro Sol is a softening agent to shrink the
> decal and firmly stick the edges so that finish
> undercutting will not occur. The Mirco Sol is the
> one that will soften a decal film for removal with
> repetive coatings.
>
> Gon Fishn

Bill, I'm a little confused by what appears to me as a contradiction in the purpose of Micro Sol. On one hand you use it to remove decals, and on the other you use it to help seal the edges. Is the difference in how it is applied?

To use it to seal the edges to prevent undercutting, how should it be applied?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 01:41PM

Micro Set says right on the label "DECAL REMOVER". Can't get any plainer than that. AND it works as a decal remover. Done it many times...

Micro Sol says nothing on the label about removing decals... it may aid in doing it, tho; just never tried it for obvious reasons....

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 03:10PM

Micro SET can be used although it's primary purpose is to aid in setting the decal. Micro SOL's main purpose is to greatly soften the decal to conform to irregular shapes such as model trains, etc. and is much stronger, softening the decal so much that a touch can easily destroy it. I have destroyed more than one decal with it.

From the Decal Connection Web Site:

"Micro SET is a very versatile decal setting solution that does several things to the decal to improve application. Micro Set should be applied to the surface of the model where you will be sliding off the decal. Micro Set prepares the surface with special wetting agents that cuts the oils in new paint and converts the adhesive on the back of the decal to a stronger and more lasting one. And finally, Micro Set slightly softens the decals film to make it more flexible so that it can conform better to the model's surface. Better adhesion by the decal to the model prevents tiny air bells from occurring and results in an invisible carrier film or the so called 'painted on look'."

"Micro SOL setting solution is for the most difficult irregular surfaces you find on models. It completely softens the Decal allowing it to drape down onto the surface of the model conforming perfectly and without distortion. You can get the most amazing results in seemingly impossible places, because Micro Sol actually makes the decal part of the paint. For that reason you should coat Micro Sol on for only a few seconds and then leave it alone, it does the work. Do not touch until dry as the decal is very soft at this stage and could be easily damaged."

The alcohol/water/finger nail method is the cheapest and quickest way to remove it.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 10, 2006 04:30PM

Jimi: Your are needed to provide correct advice. The new label on the Micro Set does list at a Remover. Please let us all know the purpose of your two solutions. Which one is the best for removal of a decal that has dried on a surface with no finish over the top?

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 05:34PM

Funny; I went to the company's site that makes these two great products.

Their instructions for removing decals not covered with a finish is to just use tape on the decal and pull straight up (not like removing masking tape - back over itself) and then any pieces left, just soak with water and remove them... Imagine that...

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 11, 2006 12:35PM

WOW! who would have thunk that a lowly decal could have drawn so much attention. Just goes to show ya! All you need is the right tool for the job, you just need to find the tool. Once again, I thank all of you for your response and suggestions, have a great day and tight wraps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster