I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative Rod Wraps
Posted by: Joe T. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 15, 2001 06:32PM

Can anyone out there help me locate some basic information to get me started in this direction. I have admired this work on several rods that I have seen, but cannot seem to locate some meaningfull information to get started with decorative wraps and weaves.

Thanks for the help.

Jo eT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative Rod Wraps
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: August 15, 2001 08:46PM

Decorative Wraps - Get the Advanced Custom Thread Art book, read the first few chapters a few times until you are clear as to what is going on. Then practice a few basic wraps on a wooden dowel or a spare rod blank.

There is sort of a tutorial I posted on momentoffame.com. It is in the middle of some of the new and old photos, about 20 steps. Not sure how much it will help, ut should give you a basic idea of what teh book is talking about the first time you read it.

Good luck, Billy

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 15, 2001 09:33PM

A good easy photo tutorial is in Tom Kirkman's book called Rod Building Guide. It will lead you through the basics of a diamond/chevron wrap in a very friendly and easy to understand format and is in full color. The entire book is only like $15 so you can't go wrong. Most of the suppliers on the left hand side of this page probably have it.

One more thing - once you learn the basic diamond/chevron wrap you are primed for any other wrap. The basics are applicable to any wrap and are what all the other wraps are based on. Good luck!

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: August 15, 2001 11:33PM

I have to agree with the first 2 replies, custom rod thread art is probably way more than you need, but get it! you will use it , but if you haven't already, get "Advanced custom rod building" also by Dale Clemens too. I haven't gotten Tom's new book, but from what I hear about it it defenitly deserves a space on my ever-growning bookshelf.

Posted by: Steve (---.akzo-nobel.com)
Date: August 16, 2001 04:54AM

Go over to www.leapinbass.com. At least I think that's the addy. This guy has some PDF files of basic chevrons, diamonds and fish wraps. Check'em out .....might be very helpful.

Good luck,
Steve

Posted by: Bob McKamey (64.53.115.---)
Date: August 16, 2001 09:36AM

Those all are very good suggestions as sources for very good information. Another thing you may possibly consider, is attending the Custom Rod Builder's Guild Conclave 2002 in Nashville, TN., at the Music City Sheraton. There will be some knock-out seminars and hands on demos/instructions. It will be as meaningful for those wanting to learn decorative thread work, from weaves to cross wraps to feather and thread work combined, a new technique to be shown at the Conclave. If you would like more info about Conclave 2002, go to @#$%& and click on Conclave 2002, in upper left corner. Of course there will be much, much more. Try to attend if you can.

Good suggestion
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: August 16, 2001 11:00AM

If you cannot make the Conclave, also consider a Rodcrafters Seminar, which are held in various spots in the US (Fl, NY, PA, WA)

Billy

Books and Videos
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: August 16, 2001 11:18AM

Joe,
I would recommend also Tom's 'tutorial' with full color pictures depicting setup and step by step progression of decorative butt wrap principals. Even for a beginner its easy to follow and comprehend if you can't get a hand on lesson.

Another good idea is a Video by Artie Hebert called "Decorative Rod Wrapping Vol. 1- spiral & cross wraps".

Either Visual or written, with practice you'll soon be good at it.

Richard's Rod & Reel has the above and other Rodbuilding Books and Videos available for purchase. We're at the link as a sponsor, but contact at info@rodreel and we'll be glad to help if we can.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods
www.rodreel.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster