I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pulling under wrap
Posted by: Leon Mack (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2005 02:11AM

For some of you old timers out there. What are you thinking, what is your mindset, when you're pulling thread under a wrap to keep the line straight on the wrap? Seems like every time I pull a thread under a wrap I get an indentation on the wrap the I pulled under. This stuff is great. I'm hooked.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pulling under wrap
Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.89.---)
Date: December 11, 2005 05:36AM

Hold the point where the thread goes under wih the end of your thumbnail. Also, pull your tag through at an angle. This should cure your problem.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.166.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 06:55AM

You can also push that area out ward to streighten out the indent. Move the thread around till it looks good.

Posted by: David Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 07:47AM

I pull my thread at an angle, but I do the opposite and push the thread in all around it to match.

Also, I get less indent when I clip my tag end before pulling through.

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 11, 2005 10:18AM

I've only done one rod but, for me, it seems to help not only to pull the loop at an angle, but also to place the loop near the same angle I'm going to pull it when first wrapping it in as well (as opposed to keeping the loop parallel to the blank). This seems to keep the wrap neater.

Have any of you more experienced builder found this to help as well? Or is there some reason this shouldn't be done?

Posted by: john channer (---.228.159.23.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 10:09PM

I start my thread with the loop layed in along the far side of the guide foot, the tag goes on the near side. When I'm doen with the wrap, I pull the second tag all the way thru, so I have one tag on each side of the foot and no dents that can be seen where the tags go under the wrap. I think this also helps to fill the tunnels, the thread ends wicck the finish into the tunnel.
john

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 11, 2005 11:52PM

John, as mentioned earlier I'm very inexperienced but, from what I've read numerous times, I thought placing the wrap tag next to the guide foot is a "no no" in rod building. Is this another one of those topics many rod builders tend to be in disagreement on (similar to where the guides should be in relation to the rod spine)? Doesn't this cause the wrap to not hold as well?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.42.38.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 12, 2005 07:41AM

I feel if the tag end is near or in the opening or tunnel it will not be a tight wrap.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.156.14.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: December 12, 2005 09:44PM

Ralph;
I guess this is one of those things that is an"area of disagreement"lol. I should probably qualify a bit. I wrap bamboo rods with silk thread this way and finish my wraps with spar varnish. Wrapping silk too tight then using spar on it will cause silvering or "shimmers" in the wraps, less thread tension will let the wrap go transparent. I use 3/0 and make 4 turns on the blank before I go up the guide foot and have never had any problem because the wrap wasn't tight enough. I suppose this way probably wouldn't work very well with single foot guides, but I don't know for sure because I don' t use them.
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster