I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Extra stripper guide placement??
Posted by: John Knox (---.cae.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 14, 2001 05:35PM

I am building a Loomis GL-3 # 9 wgt. which is a 4 piece rod. According to the Loomis site, the last stripper is to be placed on the 3rd section towards the butt. When I taped the guides in place I added a 3rd stripper 4 inches in front like the previous posts have suggested. However, the arrangement did not appear to be "balanced", if there is such a thing. I then spaced the last two strippers such that there was more of a space beween them to give it a more balanced look. This placement of the last guide puts it on the 4th section towards the end away from the seat/butt end. Is there a problem locating it on the 4th section? Will it affect the rod's performance? What do you guys think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extra stripper guide placement??
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 14, 2001 06:52PM

From what I understand it isn't supposed to look "balanced" it's just supposed to work. If you move the stripper too far towards the reel it will definitely affect the casting. And the two stripper deal at 4" is about right. I found that if I moved it close than 3 inches or much more than 4" it really had no effect at all. I was reading somewhere that once everybody starts putting that extra stripper on there then all of a sudden it will begin to look "normal". It's just what you get used to.

Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: August 15, 2001 08:02AM

Would you place all the guides on using the deflection method or whatever method and the place the extra stripper or would place the guides accordingly in front of the extra stripper out to the tip? In other words do you place the butt stripper and extra stripper then deflection placement of the guides or place all the guides then the extra stripper?

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 15, 2001 11:33AM

Steve,

Most people are adding the extra stripper "in addition to" their regular guide set-up and placement. So you would just do what you have always done, and then add in that extra stripper. It not there for stress distribution but rather for channeling the incoming fly line into a straight path. Hope this helps to clarify.

But by all means, don't let me or anyone deter you from trying some different combinations. Your efforts might lead to something none of us know yet.

Posted by: John Knox (---.scana.com)
Date: August 15, 2001 12:05PM

Thanks for all the input. I think I will give it a test under both conditions prior to finishing the wraps. My 1st test will be with the butt stripper moved towards the reel about 2-3 inches and the "extra" one moved forward about 1/2 inch. I will then test it with the extra in the original spacing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster