I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Tape Handle
Posted by: Glenn (---.tredegar.com)
Date: August 14, 2001 02:39PM

I'm preparing to build a surf rod with cork tape handle but I have never used cork tape before. Could someone offer some "tips and tricks" on the application. Other rods that I have seen using this material wrap thread from the blank up onto the end of the tape I guess to keep the tape from coming off but the problem I forsee is making this a smooth transition from the blank up onto the tape. Is there some way to taper the edge of the tape so that there is no big "step up" onto the tape. Or is there another way to do this. I have also heard that getting bubbles in the finish over this wrap may be a problem.
Any help will be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Tape Handle
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 14, 2001 04:30PM

You need to sand/taper the edge with sandpaper or file so that your thread will "walk" up the hill. I use an emery board to do the job. Be careful not to gouge the blank when doing this.

I normally make a double wrap of thread on each junction. The cork tape will compress slightly so such a double wrap will not be at all bulky.

Bubbles do not seem to be any problem, or at least no more so than with any regular thread wrap.

Posted by: Greg (---.fmr.com)
Date: August 15, 2001 08:26AM

I have never had much success with Tom's approach so I do the following:
1) tightly tape the edge of the cork tape with 1/4" masking tape
2) trim the edge with a razor blade
3) add tape or epoxy on the blank up to the masking tape to form the desired taper.

If using tape for the taper, add it parrallel with the length so it helps form the taper.

I hope this helps.

Greg
[www.ReelsAndEels.com]

Date: August 15, 2001 09:27AM

Greg's method is certainly just as viable as the one I use. Both accomplish the same thing and with some trial and error you can easily determine which works best for you. His method certainly saves any chance of scarring the blank with the edge of an emery board.

Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: August 15, 2001 10:17AM

Glenn,
Are you planning on using a fixed reel seat, a plate style, or no seat at all?
if you are going to use a standard fuji seat, merrick Tackle offers 2" mooseskin grips to use at the ends of the seat. Looks good and most people like the way they feel. Cuts down on the finish work instead of using a trim band.

Tom, have you tried these?

Bill O

Date: August 15, 2001 11:46AM

I have not but see no reason why they wouldn't work well. Also brings to mind the use of heat shrink tubing in short lengths on the ends of the cork tape. Would serve the same purpose and not require any wrapping at all. Lots of ways to do this.

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: August 15, 2001 11:53PM

I just built a spinning rod to use for bass fishing with cork tape, I used foam peices that i shaped by turning next to both ends of the reel seat,I used shrink tube over the top end next to the butt wrap, which flex coat actually stuck to quite well, making a nie transition to the thread wraps, I just did a chevron, and wrapped the bottom end in size "D", which lined up well with the tubing. on the buttend , I just have a double wrapped peice of tape covered by shrink tube with a soft rubber butt cap for now, but I am going to take that off and glue on one of those EVA butts that looks kind of like a lightbulb whenever UPS shows up with. The rod is really light, I didn't realize how heavy cork is!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster