I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loomis blanks
Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.gso.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 11, 2001 11:00AM

It seems that loomis blanks are consistantly getting harder to get, im wondring if they really want to sell blanks over factory rods, or is the demand more than they can supply at times?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loomis blanks
Posted by: John Mills (---.cybertrails.com)
Date: August 11, 2001 11:46AM

I dont know about that, but a limited supply of any product helps keep the price up. If they were available every where, distributors would be lowering thier prices to gain sales, not only does this reduce profit margins, it can "cheapen" a product in the consumers eye's

Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2001 02:10PM

Speaking of Loomis; as some of you may know I've been out of the loop for about 4 years so I'm playing "catch-up" a thing I read somewhere said that Loomis is no longer owned by Gary Loomis but was sold to a Chinese Company, and that Mr.Loomis is simply a consultant. Is this true and if so is the company in the Republic of China or the PDR, and where are the blanks made now? Warren

Posted by: Bob Fox (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2001 02:25PM

I also needed 4 Loomis blanks for a customer for Snook fishing in Fla. I called all of my distributors to no avail. I then called Loomis direct and was told that Gary is now only distributing to 5 dealers in the U.S. No reason was given, but I checked one of them and the cost was inflated compaired to my distributor who refuses to carry them anymore.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2001 03:18PM

First Loomis was purchased by Shimano,Well over a year ago they reduced their distributors to just 5 or 6 dealers,apparently some of the other dealers were not complying with Loomis policy re distribution.The shortage occured in part since some of the blanks are going into other rods,there entire policy is due to change shortly ,hopefully,re availability and models that will be available,for now I know both Clemens and Custom Tackle carry Loomis.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 11, 2001 03:38PM

The issue of "Fair Trade Pricing" will be debated for years to come. It has worked miracles for the fly fishing industry which has been thriving for over a decade since that policy and some other similar ones, were instituted by their trade association. The general tackle industry, on the other hand, continues to shrink and the local mom and pop tackle stores continue to decline in number as they are not able to make enough margin on the tackle they sell to keep them in business.

It begs this question - when margins are very low, does the fisherman actually win? On one hand yes, he gets his equipment for a lower price. But at what cost? Fewer local dealers and less service usually. For some this is important, to others it is not.

Oh well, I've gotten off the original poster's question. I got the new Loomis catalog last week. Blanks will be in better supply and they also will have some new models and some new looks. I am sure the Loomis distributors will be in touch as soon as they begin receiving their shipments.

Posted by: Scott Greenberg (---.albany.thebiz.net)
Date: August 13, 2001 12:19PM

Merrick Tackle still has a limited supply of G.Loomis blanks
now available at closeout prices.
We are replacing the entire line with Rogue Blanks a great new
alternative. Scott

Posted by: Bob McKamey (64.53.115.---)
Date: August 14, 2001 03:37PM

As John Britt mentioned in his earlier post, Custom Tackle Supply is a G*Loomis distributor. We still have a fairly good stock of the models as they exist now. I did not say we had them all, but most of the hard core models are in house. We are looking forward to the new program that will be available in November, as Dick French mentioned. Under the new blank program, we will receive blanks within the newer Crankbait Series, Muskie Series, Pelagic Salt Series, Walleye Series and the IMX 3 pc. Fly Series. These new models will enhance the blank line-up, in addition to most of the top selling models remaining in the line-up. For the builder with proper business identification documents, the wholesale blank program will still exist. You can contact us for more info on the Loomis blank line-up and program.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply
Ph. -- 931-684-6164
e-mail -- customtackle@united.net
web-site -- www.customtackle.com

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 03, 2001 12:37PM

I've built several G Loomis rods this year & Bob McKamey has been able to find anything I needed. Thanks to the fine folks at Custom Tackle Supply!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster