I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single Thread Trim........
Posted by: Joe (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 10, 2001 11:31PM

What is your take on single thread trim wraps and single threads dropped into a base wrap? I'm sure there are as many ways to do it as there are folks doing it. I use a variation of a method I saw used and tried to imitate, only to wind up doing it differently but achieving the same result. I simply lay a trim thread and pull loop down and start the guide wrap over them. After a few turns to lock the wrap, stop with the loop on top and wrap the trim around the rod and through the pull loop. Bring it out and cut the trim thread and continue with the guide wrap. I've been building a lot of ultralite and flea weight rods and these single thread trims are just right to set the rod off. On fly rods I use dropped threads to identify the (rated) line weight by dropping in a number of single threads equal to the line weight number in a wrap just ahead of the grip. If a hookkeep is used I put the singles into the keep wrap. Just wonder how other folks go about it and how do you feel about using single thread trim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Thread Trim........
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 11, 2001 10:17AM

Single thread trims bring a bit of understated class to almost any rod. You can do it several ways, yours included. You don't really need the pull through loop if you just bring the end of the inlay thread underneath the wrapping thread and wrap over it twice. Cut and continue.

I once knew a rod builder who used a very fine gold wire instead of thread for his inlays. They were beautiful and quite elegant without being bulky or gaudy.

Posted by: John Kreeger (---.static.missouri.edu)
Date: August 12, 2001 02:57PM

I think what the fellow described above is a single thread at the end of wrap. I only know of three ways to do this, one of which he described (and the method I like best), but I'm sure there are more.

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 03, 2001 12:44PM

Just to add to what's already been said, I overlap the thread slightly then press down to keep it from slipping while its pulled by the loop. Then pull the tag end carefully to align the ends of the wrap. This will prevent a gap in the wrap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster