I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

newbie question
Posted by: Clay Poindexter (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2001 08:01AM

Obviously, I am new to this business but I have the bug which leads me to my question.
I have several rods (custom built on good blanks) where the reel seats and handles need to be replaced/reworked. I am sure they were epoxied in place- is it practical to go down this road or am I asking for a lot of trouble?
BTW- this is a great board!
Thanks for your patience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: newbie question
Posted by: Lynn (---.atomic.net)
Date: August 09, 2001 08:45AM

Clay, I'm new to this also, but as a hobbiest for the moment. Grip and reelseat replacement is normally better done from the tip due to the taper of the rod. This would mean removing and replacing the old guides also. It is possible to replace the handle from the back, but you'll have to make sure all of the components are large enough to fit over the butt ( this doesn't work very well for cork ring grips). I've rebuilt several older rods like this to save money on blanks while I was learning. The question is " Is the blank worth more than my time to strip it down?" When I'm sitting watching TV, I know what the answer is. Most grips can be cut off with an Xacto knife. To remove the reelseat, I use a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to cut a slot down each side of the seat being careful not to cut the blank. Heating with a blow dryer can also help soften the epoxy. Pry the reelseat away from the blank and then cut away the remaing epoxy. Keep any sanding very light so as not to decrease the integrity of the blank.

Re: fly rods or ??
Posted by: Clay Poindexter (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2001 07:51AM

large surf rods- all two piece.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster