I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Outcast blanks
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 08, 2001 06:04PM

awhile back someone at this site asked about Outcast blanks,since I didn't know much I decided to try to find some info. Mud Hole Tackle supports this board so perhaps they can reply to the rather unflattering comments I've "run into" around other fishing sites."pretty to look at but no more than average quality", many "cankered" tips, all hype average performance, pretty but poor, used in Hawaii made in Korea quality is about what we saw from Daiwa 25-30 years ago, don't waste your money. That about covers it. The comments were from fishermen/rod builders from many different parts of the country. I had read a lot of "good stuff" from folks who stock them but that's to be expected I guess. Anyone here have any practical experience? Obviously anyone can wind up with a flawed blank but.............! Warren

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Outcast blanks
Posted by: Kris Kristufek (204.221.95.---)
Date: August 08, 2001 09:56PM

Warren, I do not know who the others you are talking about are. That's really beside the point.

I have built and sold several Outcast 2 pc spin rods. Without question they are the most flashy, colorful blanks I've ever seen. A 46" Canadian Northern Pike is the largest fish that one of my rods has captured! AND on 8# line. Not too bad I think. The colors change with the light, if you don't like that, well, I guess I can't help out a lot.

I have not had any of the experience that you indicated. The tips, the finish, the action the COLORS, are as described ... Way out there! Jeff Gordon and his Dupont N'Car don't even hold a candle to he colors in these rods. They are not the most inexpensive blanks you can buy, but hands down, they are something else to deal with.

You'll have more problems deciding what color of guide wrap to put on them, what to do for a butt wrap, etc. to keep up with the color changes ... far out!

I'd suggest you go back to your friends/sources and challenge them!!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 09, 2001 09:49AM

It is common to hear bad reports on various rod blanks and assorted components. Some are true, some are not. Many times the people who make the harshest criticisms have never actually used the product in question, but are relying upon what their cousin's sister's husband's bother had to say about it.

I have about 6 OutCast blanks here in the shop now. They are the straightest blanks I have ever had through the doors. Quality is outstanding. The only thing I cannot speak to is the long-term durability since I have not fished them for any length period of time.

Ken Kimura, the company owner, is a very nice fellow who I am sure would do everything possible to stand behind his product.

Posted by: Allan (---.hawaii.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2001 04:06AM

Warren I live in Hawaii and have heard some of your concerns from fellow fishermen.

Let's look at cost first. Here in the islands we use mainly the heavier rods. The models that are popular are the Launcher, the Bomber, the Magnum, and recently the Blazer has been introduced. All of them are fairly expenisve. They range in price from $130 - $275, for the blank itself.

I have expereinces with the Magnum and the Launcher/Boomer. The Launcher and the Boomer are basically the same rod except the latter one is a 12'6" version of the other. The Launcher is 13'6". I know that the material of these three blanks are pretty similar. The Magnum is 98% graphite and 2% fiberglass. The Launcher/Boomer are, so I've been told, 96% graphite and 4% fiberglass.

Thise leads to the problems that you've heard concerning these rods. The high ratio of graphite makes them very fragile. The high graphite content makes them just like glass, very easy to shatter and break. If you were to drop your pole on some rocks you may have a small shatter or spider web effect that you cannot see. If you were to take a big strike with that damage and the fish put a lot of pressure, your blank could literally explode. Some guys in Hawaii have had that happen. So if you were to get an outcast rod you would seriously need to baby it. You'd have to be very careful if you were fishing in a rocky area and then at home or in your car you'd also need to make sure that your rod doesn't get dropped or hit that would cause any shattering. This is also the reason for many broken tips. I'm not sure if in the states that you're fish are as fierce and strong that they would couse your rod to explode, but it may snap at the shatter.

On the positive end though, these rods are fairly stiff and lock up not too far down. This means that it is very easy to boost a fish. You can go with a smaller diameter and thus lighter rod. All of this is because of the high graphite content. Ken Kimura has personally aided in the development of the blanks. This makes them very great for fishing. The rods are very specific in the type of fish that you are after. There was an article written here in Hawaii about the manufacturing of these rods. If you like you can email me and I will scan and email you a copy.

In closing you need to think weather or not you can afford the high price and the high maintenance of these rods. All of my friends are currently using several of the various models. None of them have had any problems. I've only met 2 people that wouldn't recommend them. Personally I'm using All Star blanks because they're what I can afford.

If you have any further questions about he Outcat line please feel free to email.

Allan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster