I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

airlines and rod tubes
Posted by: Chris-Flying Fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: August 08, 2001 02:54AM

"I need some info on airlines and rod tubes. A friend is going to bring some rod blanks back for me in a narrow rod tube, he also has a check in bag and a bag of golf clubs. Is the airline going to charge extra for this 3rd little light piece? Any knowledge of this would be appreciated."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: airlines and rod tubes
Posted by: Steve S. (---.norwest.com)
Date: August 08, 2001 10:00AM

Chris...I have found that each airline have somewhat difffferent policies, and it also depends if you have a frequent flyer status.

My suggestion to your friend would be to call the customer service department of the airline he is flying and ask them what their policies are......but generally speaking you are allowed to check 2 bags plus a rod case or other sporting item (such as a pair of skis or rod case).

I always carry my reels in my carry-on bag. I figure if they lose my rods, I'd be able to either buy some cheap ones to get me by, or scronge them at camp, but I'd want to use my own reels. However, I have checked rod cases dozens of times and they have never lost or misplaced them.

I had an interesting incident happen at the Winnepeg Airport, while returning to the U.S. just this spring. Even though I was on the same airline returning home that I arrived at, they told me that I was only allowd 2 pieces, and my rod case counted as one. I told them that I had 2 bags plus a rod case when I arrived on their airline, and wanted to return with the same number. There was a long hassle with 2 supervisors, while the line behind me continued to grow. They offered to take the case with a surcharge of $75.00. Finally they let me go with no fee....I think just to get rid of me. My friend was carrying some of his favorite Northern lures, and they told him that since they had hooks, they could be used as a weapon, and insisted he check them in. That also put him over the 2+1 case limit.

Hope this helps...enjoy the trip....

Mail it instead.
Posted by: BobH (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2001 10:21PM

If you run the risk of having to check it in, & pay a premiuim, why not just ship it, insured & you'll have it before he arrives. That's what I do when I go on a trip. Mail it in advance & save the hassles.

Re: Mail it instead.
Posted by: Brett Bailey (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2001 11:40PM

I just returned from a trip to Hawaii with my fly rod. I checked my clothes and carried my reel bag and fly rod tube (48") right on the plane as carry-ons. Most planes have a closet right as you board for the crews carry-ons. Just ask one of the attendants to put it in there for you and your all set. I have never had a problem, even on a small comuter jet and I fly with my rods alot. Just bring it on. Don't ask, just do it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster