I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule Wraps
Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: August 07, 2001 11:07AM

For the new standard tip over butt ferrules, how much of the ferrule should the wrap cover? I've been told by a friend that it should cover the whole length of the ferrule to ensure strength, but that can exceed three inches, on even a small rod, which looks funny and adds a lot of weight. I know the butt end of the female needs to be well protected, but should wraps and/or epoxy reach all the way up to where the male insert ends?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule Wraps
Posted by: Don Morton (---.localaccess.net)
Date: August 07, 2001 11:40AM

Rob, I have never seen damage up in the ferrule just at the entrance of the ferrule. I personnally only wrap about 1/4 inch as close to the opering of the ferrule as possible. This has never failed me but longer wraps may be used if you feel more secure.

Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: August 07, 2001 12:31PM

That's what I figured. I've never wrapped more than a half inch to an inch myself. One more question though. I noticed the ferrule wall had a very small chip in it on the very end of one of my Loomis fly rod ferrules. The ferrule plug seems down in the male section a little far leaving the rim exposed to further weakening and potential damage. Would I be advised to fill this up to the rim with epoxy or finish? Is this good practice in general where ferrule reinforcement plugs don't come all the way flush?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 07, 2001 01:10PM

I have always used a ferrule wrap that was as long as twice the diameter of the ferrule opening. What is important, is to get the wrap as close to the edge as possible. If you can prevent a split-out here, it really can't develop elsewhere. And a split-out is exactly what that wrap is there to help prevent. (Don's 1/4 inch is likely more than enough as well, I just came up with a formula so the wraps would look a bit more uniform on multi-piece rods.)

You really should have something in that male ferrule opening. Try to go in from the opposite end and push it back where it needs to be. If the fit is poor, you can make a "plug" with Rod Bond that will serve the same purpose, but perhaps even better.

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.s500.apx3.lnh.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: August 07, 2001 03:50PM

Rob: I agree with Tom. I use the formula L=3D. L being the length of the wrap, and D being the Diameter of the female section where the wrap will go. This provides me with a nice tapered look on multi-piece rods, with each wrap being a little shorter as they progress from the butt to the tip section. John

Posted by: Greg Selke (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 07, 2001 04:16PM

Be careful in using metallic thread for the ferrule wraps. Some metallics are not as strong as the nylon thread and can cause splitting of the ferrule. Not in all instances, but a few times. I will use a 1/4" nylon wrap then my metallic to be safe. Try to match the color as close as possible, or use black nylon. Better to explain this color difference than repair a tip section.

Posted by: Dorge (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: August 08, 2001 08:45PM

This is what I do. If the furrel is four inches long as new, and the diameter of the blank is not over half in inches. I shall wrap
no less than 1 inches at two places. One as close to the furrel as possible and the other warp starting at 3.5 inches if the furrel
overlap is 4' long. This shall give you two strengthening point. The more aggressive design like the British blank, Sage I would
highly recommneded you do so since the furrel contact point inside can apply considerable strength to the top blank. As you may
discover those are all large tube but thin wall design. This is espeically true for non perfect fitting furrel in the older model blanks
I have encounter. I got a change to see the first batch of blank coming out of taiwan using what I believe is old Loomis
equipment, the tip over butt blanks were not as perfect which make this a absolute necessarity. Wax alone is not enough.

One more thing, I have very good luck with the Gudebrod HT thread although a metalic thread but VERY strong.

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><{

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster