I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Exotic Burl Cork
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 11:27PM

I have a small assortment of Andy Dear's exotic cork in route and have a question for those of you that are working with it. I have been combining burl cork from Angler's Workshop and wood to form grips. In doing so I have been using TruOil for a finish on both the cork and wood portion of the grip. Will the exotic cork that Andy sells take a TruOil finish without discoloring? The standard burl I have been using appears darker and doesn't change appearance greatly but I wonder about what appears to be a lighter colored exotic burl.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exotic Burl Cork
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 11:35PM

I put Cork Seal from U40 on the Dark Brown Burl from Andy, and it did darken considerably. Mo, it looks MUCH better, BUT I have a piece of Brown EVA which the untreated cork matches perectly, so I have to try and lightly sand the treated cork off. @#$%@#%. This has nothing to do with Tru Oil.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:03AM

I recently completed a split grip rod with a foregrip with the exotic burl. I glued and shaped the rings into the 3 grips. After that, I lightly coated each with Tru Oil and then wiped off the excess. I dried each of them for at least an hour (some for two) under a lamp and then let them all sit for 36 hours.

As I was reaming the pieces to fit the blank, each slowly turned darker and darker. I didn't worry about it, just figured I needed to clean them really good and I glued them on the blank. The next evening, I scrubbed and scrubbed and couldn't get them clean again. I believe that the darker part of the burl got into the lighter color as I reamed them.

I sanded them down and put U40 Cork Seal on them.

Emailed Andy Dear very recently; haven't heard back from him on it yet.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.70.76.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 07:13AM

I got wood coming in. Got tired of the cork whoo's. But i am wondering if I will like a handle with out all those little nucks and crannies??

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:07AM

I've made two grips using a combination of Andy's burl, regular cork and regular burl cork. I used Tung Oil on one and Tru Oil on the other. They both darkened a bit, but I didn't think it was a significant amount. Both look good and have a nice feel to them.

Posted by: Mark Van Ditta (134.192.173.---)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:37PM

If you want a "water white" finish, use a water-based product. All solvent-based finishes bring out the reds and browns in woods.

Posted by: John Dow (---.216.252.64.snet.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:16PM

IVe used a lot of andys cork on a few rods for myself this winter , all of them got the tru-oil ...... one coat .
I applied the oil after shaping , and didn't touch it after . Since then I've fished 2 of the rods and the grip is very nice , not slick . Even wet , it grips well in my hand . Pretty nice stuff if you ask me , the only set backs are it's tougher to turn , and it's a bit heavier than cork , other than that , I'll take it . I'm tired of the regular rings .........................
JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 10:08AM

I noticed the weight, too, and decided to weigh the rings. Nearly 4 times heavier than cork. Beautiful stuff, though. I really like it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster