I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where it's at
Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: August 02, 2001 10:43AM

For you new and moderately experienced builders, myself included, I've found that most of the general rod building questions posted on this site are answered quite effectively in Tom Kirkman's new book "Rod-Building Guide." In about 50 pages, with plenty of good photos, you'll find up-to-date tips and information about blanks and modulus, spine and guide placement, seats and grips, adhesives and finishing techniques, etc. In deference to Tom--not asking him to repeat himself too frequently--I highly recommend his book as your primary reference tool. Most suppliers sell it for around 15 bucks. Add it to your next order.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where it's at
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2001 11:49AM

Rob what you say is entirely correct, however careful reading of the post usually indicates someone did something and the project didn't turn out the way it was intended hence the why questions in addition most of the newer builders are probably not aware of the book and its excellent descriptions are how to projects. The book does not tell anyone how to correct a problem only how to do it right the first time. For myself I had been using the old rod bond for years without a problem did something a little stupid one time and ended up with a mess,Ralph knew immediatley what happened and what caused the problem, these boards really contains 100s of years experience with using various experience something no book could ever possibly cover,just my opinion

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 02, 2001 12:12PM

John is right to a great extent. But we did the book from that very perspective - showing how to do it right the first time. So many of the most frenquently asked questions are thoroughly covered in both my book and several others as well.

The nicest thing about these various message boards is that a rod builder in a jam can get immediate help. And, the more answers the better! (We are approaching 2 million hits in less than 2 months now. Obviously, that doesn't represent 2 million different rod builders, but how many times people have logged into the site. This is very possibly the largest and most heavily used rod building message board on the internet now and we haven't really advertised it yet!)

I would add that the "search" feature of this site is an extremely effective way for anyone to quickly gather information on a variety of topics without having to wait for answers to come in.

I appreciate Rob's comment on the book. It was designed for the very purpose he mentioned. Only wish I could have made it bigger and covered so many more topics in much more depth. Oh well, that's what the next couple will delve into. To Amato Books credit, they did include a full 100 full color photographs. It's a heck of a steal at $15.

Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: August 02, 2001 02:47PM

Agreed. Didn't mean to imply that all posts are answered by the book--though many are--just that most general "how to" questions are answered for beginner and intermediate builders. I personally posted three or four questions I found answered very effectively in Tom's book. Hate to see him repeat a dozen times what he's already said and written, although I'm sure he's used to it by now.

By the way Tom, who makes that neat looking woven graphite blank on the cover and on page five?

"woven" blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 02, 2001 02:56PM

The "woven" blank you mention is a Loomis Hybrid Stand-Up blank. These are my personal favorite for that type fishing. Tough, strong and very light. Also very expensive!

book
Posted by: Andy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 03, 2001 09:45PM

I also got Tom's book along with 5 other rod building how-to books. I ordered them all at one time and started reading them for about an hour each evening. I devoured them. Tom's book has been far and away the most helpful and it is the one I keep going back to for reference. Can't wait for his next one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster