I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tools for Turning
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: August 01, 2001 08:11PM

With all this interest in turning wood seat lately, I'm curious as to what brand of tools everyone uses. Also, what is the bare minimum for turning a seat - a chisel, gouge, parting tool?? What sizes?? I have read a couple of books, but they were for turning wood in general - specifically what is needed for seats?

Is it neccesary to have a bench grinder in order to sharpen tools? Can it be done another way? I would probably only turn a couple of seats anyway, but it does interest me - love teh way you guys get them to look - sweeeet!!

Billy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tools for Turning
Posted by: Rick Funcik (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 01, 2001 11:41PM

Yes, a skew chisel, gouge, and parting tool are probably just right for turning seats. Iin a practiced hand, the skew will give the best surface; ready for sanding at maybe 150 grit. Be prepared to put in some practice time on inexpensive wood tho!

Some guys have good results sharpening on a belt sander. Even a handheld 3x24 or 3x18 will do, fix it down to a bench somehow, you won't need too much in the way of guides/toolrest. Be sure the belt is spinning AWAY from the cutting edge, the opposite of how a common bench grinder goes. Since you're cutting steel, quality belts would probably be worth the expense. Another option is to take them to a local friendly pro for initial sharpening, and you can then touch up with bench stones i.e. India or Arkansas. And to a purist who sharpens on Japanese waterstones, using a belt sander is gauche kind of like chumming when fly fishing, so don't repeat where you heard this advice!

Re: Tools for Turning
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 02, 2001 09:32AM

Billy,

I was involved in wood turning before I became involved in rod making, so a good background had already been formed. For turning inserts, a gouge, and a wide parting or bedan tool are really all that are needed. But you are correct,they need to be sharpened often. A sharp tool is not only safer, but does the job in seconds compared to dull tool which only serves to frustrate the builders.

The very best tool for sharpening is the Tormek Wet Wheel grinder. It is also very expensive at about $400 less attachments. But it is the cream of the crop. The Delta Wet Wheel grinder is not bad and runs about $170. The miter is not very good though. Delta also makes a flat stone wet wheel grinder which is quite good and does not create a "hollow" grind on the tool edge. Although to be honest, the "hollow" ground edges do not seem to create any real disadvantage and most experienced wood turners are fine with them.

Yes, you can also use a regular grinder combined with one of the excellent gringing jigs that are made just for sharpening lathe tools. The down side is that these standard grinders turn too fast, have poor wheels (you need a "friable" AL or SIC wheel) and thus overheat the tool edge, making it brittle and unable to hold an edge for any decent period of time.

Machine lathe cutting bits are no different - they need to be sharpened often as well. The same grinders mentioned above along with some specialty jigs allow them to be easily sharpened.

I am pretty sure most good woodturners will tell you they often sharpen a tool several times during the turning of a single piece! Sounds like a lot of hassle, but once you learn to do it correctly, it becomes second nature and allows you to turn your work quickly and easily. A reel seat insert is no more than a 3 minute job with sharp tools and a little experience.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster