I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color preserver
Posted by: Kurt (---.hypercom.com)
Date: August 01, 2001 10:53AM

I'm in the process of building a new rod & began appling U-40 color lock to my wraps last evening. I was extremely disappointed to find many bubbles, blisters & dis-colorization once it dried. As a novice rodbuilder, my first thought is that I'm appling the product incorrectly.
I'd like to hear your thoughts regarding this issue. - Thanks KC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color preserver
Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: August 01, 2001 09:08PM

Kurt
I think your first thoughts are probably correct. Apply the color lock with a 1/4" brush, quality of the brush is not important as it is with the finishes. Apply a heavy flood coat -- to a rotating rod if possible. Watch it soak in, and watch the bubbles form as it soaks in. Simply brush out the bubbles but do not remove the excess. Let the rod rotate for a few minutes while the materiel stiffens. Almost universally you will receive instructions to wipe off or brush off the excess. I have found that if you merely leave on as much as possible, you will need only one coat to do the job. If you wipe or brush off the excess, you will need to add another coat. After the initial bubbles are brushed out, there should not be any more forming. I have never seen any blisters, or discolaration but these must be caused by uneven coating and/or brushing or in some manner disturbing the coating after it has stiffened. If you need something more specific give me an E mail and maybe I can help.

Ralph O'Quinn

Posted by: Kurt (---.hypercom.com)
Date: August 02, 2001 10:17AM

Thank You Ralph

Posted by: Dave J (---.accesstoledo.net)
Date: August 02, 2001 04:36PM

Kurt:

About the discolorization; Oil and grime on your fingers while wrapping can cause problems when you apply the finish. I've seen wraps that appear almost mottled in appearance because of this. Also, make sure your color preserver is good and applied evenly. By good, I mean that it has never been frozen. Frozen and then thawed color preserver will be very thick. Good color preserver will be almost water like in consistency.

Good Fishin'
Dave Jann

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: August 08, 2001 12:16AM

Try the brilliance color preserver from clemens tackle, the stuff is great!, I never have had any problems with it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster