I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titanium coated guides
Posted by: Allan Los Banos (---.hawaii.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2001 04:10AM

Aloha to all of you from Hawaii.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Titanium coated guides from Pac Bay (at least I think that's who makes them I know they have a matching reel seat for it). I plan to use them on a 13ft, 2 piece Outcast Magnum blank. The pole will be used for bait casting and Hawaii style slide baiting. The guides I usually use are tri-coil (spring) guides. Those are made out of steel and rust after a couple of years. The tackle shop I go to has been using those Titanium guides on all their poles lately, but I find them to be a little expensive. Is the price worth it? Can they handle the abuse of casting big knots and heavy live?

Thanks for all your help,

Allan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titanium coated guides
Posted by: Tom McNamara (---.24.97.oviedo.cfl.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2001 04:59AM

Allen I have been using these rings on my personal rods since they were available over a year ago. I can say that saltwater fishing has not affected them at all – not a spot of corrosion – even at the base of the guide foot. Another rod builder I know has had one hanging in saltwater off his dock for a year plus and it does not show any signs of corrosion either.

These guide start great basic material – stainless steel frames & Zirconia rings, then are beefed up with titanium plating.

There are actually two titanium coating on these guides. The first is on the frame which is stainless steel that is coated with TiCH (titanium carbide). The second is the ring, which is a Zirconia ceramic ring (similar properties to SIC) that is coated with TiGOLD (titanium nitride) that provides a tough smooth finish. I sometimes think about it this way – it drill bits are coated with titanium nitride to keep them sharp – it is tough stuff.

Pacific Bay offers a matching reel seat with the same titanium coating on the hoods that really does a supper job of matching the guides. They have taken that reel seat a step further and offer it with a clear woven graphite body – awesome looking.

Price wise the guides match up with SIC guides. The reel seat is not much more than a deluxe Fuji & looks a heck of a lot better.

As far as handling knots goes – I think it is like any guide, if you abuse them they will break. I have not had mine fail but I only fish mine in the 10-15# range casting #20 shock lead knots though it.

I though so highly of these guides, that they were worthy of inclusion on our web site so we have added them to our New Products section recently (located on the left side menu of www.mudhole.com). Additionally, we featured them in our next advertisement in Rod Maker magazine.

I actually have them on a Outcast 7 foot spinning blank, the combination of the titanium guides and the chameleon finish of the Outcast blank make for one great looking show stopper of a rod – and a heck of a speckled trout catching machine!

Tom McNamara
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
[www.mudhole.com]
Phone: (407) 277-0099

Re: Titanium coated guides
Posted by: Rob (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 01, 2001 10:49AM

Good looking guides. If they could only make them in a concept system.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster