I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning reelseats
Posted by: Mike Jansson (---.dialup.cyberback.com)
Date: July 31, 2001 10:03PM

I've just finished turning my first reelseat. I started with 1.5" X 1.5" Walnut blank and went after it with a 1/2" gouge. It took about three hours just to get it turned down to the correct diameter. Is this the normal amout of time for a project like this. Does anyone have any tips for speeding up the process.

Thanks,
Mike Jansson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning reelseats
Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.3g.quik.com)
Date: July 31, 2001 11:36PM

Mike,

My suggestions would be the obvious ones you have probably already figured out. Start with a 1"x 1" blank instead of 1.5". A metal lathe will turn these out very quickly. It takes me about 10 minutes to go from raw wood to a blank ready to be morticed. I'm no woodsmith, so perhaps some of those who use a wood lathe will be more help.

Good luck,
Harry Boyd

Date: July 31, 2001 11:36PM

Mike,

My suggestions would be the obvious ones you have probably already figured out. Start with a 1"x 1" blank instead of 1.5". A metal lathe will turn these out very quickly. It takes me about 10 minutes to go from raw wood to a blank ready to be morticed. I'm no woodsmith, so perhaps some of those who use a wood lathe will be more help.

Good luck,
Harry Boyd

Posted by: John Kreeger (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: August 01, 2001 08:54AM

I agree with Harry. It shouldn't take very long and I don't have a metal lathe. I never timed myself on turning one, but I suspect to go from square stock to a cylinder ready for sanding, buffing and polishing may take 10-15 minutes. On some woods I go slower. Some brittle or really hard ones may take another 5-10 minutes.

I don't know anything about wood turning, but have wanted to take a class on the proper care and use of tools. I some how get things done, by luck I suppose.

I still have problems with mortising and wind up ruining several before I get it right (or fashion a seat that doens't need one). I would like to hear from Harry the method he uses.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (209.83.89.---)
Date: August 01, 2001 10:31AM

I agree with Harry. The best thing I ever did was to buy a Taig Micro lathe, which is a small metal lathe. I rough the blanks on my wood lathe (keep your tools sharp) and finis them on the taig which is very precise. The Custom Powerwrap people sell the same lathe under their brand name.

Date: August 01, 2001 11:02AM

John,

To cut the mortice I use a router setup similar to that described in Wayne Cattanach's book, Jack Howell's book, and Bob Milward's book. All are bamboo books, btw. Basically, one uses a fingernail, or half-radius bit and a fixed fence. The drilled insert blank is held in a jig which is simply a bolt through two pieces of wood. The router bit you want is part # C1215 from Grizzly imports, or an exact duplicate from another mfr. Bob Venneri made one for me that I received just a few weeks ago and haven't used yet.

A coupla tips might help. First, turn a handful of blanks to the correct sizes. This isn't a "one-off" proposition. I usually turn some straight grained walnut or cherry blanks to use as guinea pigs for the routing set-up. It usually takes about two or three tries to get the bit at the correct height, etc. Once you get the router bit set to the correct height, and the fence set to the correct position, don't move anything. Run all the reel seats through as a batch.

If you are turning seats for REC uplocking reel seats, one end of the mortice needs to be just a hair deeper than the other. I turn the blanks to .720" od, and set the fence on the router table at an angle that allows the front or cork end of the seat to be morticed about .010" deeper. Otherwise things won't fit well.

I find that a smooth, medium-fast feed works well with the router turning at full speed.

And don't be surprised when some of the fancy burls we use to make reel seats blow out on you. I just mark that up to the cost of rolling our own.

Hope this helps... and let me know if I can help further.

Harry Boyd
www.canerods.com

Posted by: Rob (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 01, 2001 12:38PM

Can you turn wood on a standard Renzetti rod lathe, and if not, what are the best wood lathes out there for the money? I've been looking at a Grissly mini wood lathe. Any special features to look for in a lathe for turning both wood and cork?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 01, 2001 03:13PM

Even with a 1.5 inch square blank, it should only take a minute or two to reduce the blank to the required diameter. If your wood is not coming off as shavings you are not doing something right. What does it look like as it comes off - dust? Chips? Either indicates a basic turning flaw.

With a sharp wood gouge you should be able to turn the insert as quickly or more quickly than a metal lathe will do it.

If you plan on doing much of this, invest in some turning classes at your local community college or craft shop. Rent a video or a book. It's fun and it's easy. I have wood lathes and metal lathes. If I need to turn lots of inserts I use the metal lathe, but to just knock out a couple or three, the wood lathe wins hands down. The metal lathe is precise, but a qualified wood turner on any wood lathe is just as precise and has more fun! (There are some special tools that allow you to be VERY precise even working freehand.)

The Renzetti will easily turn most American soft or hardwoods with the optional tool rest and live center. For the really hard, tough exotics, a dedicated wood or metal lathe is best.

Sizing inserts
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: August 01, 2001 04:04PM

To keep from making undersize inserts, get a spindle sizing tool. It works with either a parting or bedan tool. Makes easy work of sizing and guarantees you won't take off too much.

Packard Woodworks at packard@alltel.net has them. Most other turning supply stores do as well.

Tell Me More
Posted by: Bill Falconer (63.148.129.---)
Date: August 02, 2001 02:59PM

I guess I'm not as smart as Harry because I can't picture what you are talking about. However, I'd LOVE to build one because I'm using the Wayne Cattanach method and it is a little inconsistent for my liking.

Can you describe it in more detail? Thanks!

Re: Tell Me More
Posted by: John Kreeger (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: August 03, 2001 02:01PM

Gotta agree with Bill. I guess I'm a little thick. You lost me.

Got the router, got the bit, don't got the jig to hold the thing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster