I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat cork lathe questions
Posted by: Steve Pierson (---.boi.fiberpipe.net)
Date: January 25, 2005 12:05PM

I am considering purchasing a Flex Coat cork lathe. Questions for those of you that use this device -

How do you drive the rod blank? How do you attach the rod blank to the drill?

Is is sturdy enough for heavy sanding on cork grips? What about shaping foam grips?

Are you happy with the lathe? Would you buy another one?

I could build the drill stand myself. Are roller supports available separately - from Flex Coat or from some other supplier of rod building tools?

Thanks for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat cork lathe questions
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 01:24PM

I have no idea how the drill grips the rod, but that thing is really expensive for what you get since you also have to either have a buy a drill. In the long run, you'll be better off with a real lathe, a Jet or PSI Turncrafter or even a Grizzly. Then you can also turn wood for reel seats, butt caps, winding checks, pens, pencils, etc.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 01:32PM

The best deal for roller supports that I have seen is from sponsor FishSticks4U on left. It's in their online catalog (the part is a little hard to find, send Robert an email if necessary), it's in the Parts for the Forecast Rod Wrapper section, it is Part # WRAP10, and costs $16 for each complete roller assembly, if I remember right.

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: January 25, 2005 01:36PM

Regarding the flex coat drill lathe,i got hold of a copy of the flexcoat video and copied mine from there.The rod is held in the chuck via building up a drill bit or similar with masking tape to fit the inside diameter of the blank.I have shaped the round eva buttons for extension handles with mine,however i tried using a lesser quality drill which wasnt fast/powerfull enough and spoilt the first handle i built,so i would tend to say the drill is more important than the stand. The other thing being for the rollers ,i got my 12 year old son kitted up in mask and goggles and gloves to gently allow the blank to spin in his hands,after all the rods we were building were for him and his little brother.

Always remember the fun is not always in the end product ,its in the build up!

Posted by: Jason Weber (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 25, 2005 02:31PM

I have one of the flexcoat cork lathes, but I haven't used it in years. I constantly had problems of the drill coming loose from the rod. It was also very hard to get the drill mounted straight so it is difficult to turn true handles. Many years ago I upgraded to a Delta Mini lathe and I wish I had done it earlier. I still use the supports that came with the flexcoat cork lathe with my flexcoat speed wrapper when I am turning something very fast. Bottom line, if you have a flexcoat wrapper, then the supports are nice but the mount for the drill is tricky.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.va.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 04:13PM

Steve, give me a call at 804-746-9711 I have some information that might help with your decision

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.vitalchek.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 04:55PM

Steve,

Its perfect for turning handle on the blank.

Very happy.

Posted by: Steve Pierson (---.boi.fiberpipe.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 12:28PM

So how do you users of other lathes (like the Delta or PSI) spin your rod blanks for shaping cork or foam handles? Drill bits and tape stuffed inside the end of the blank?

Do the other lathes come with rod supports? Or do you build your own?

Just trying to research all the options before I make a lathe purchase.Thanks for your input.

Posted by: Jason Weber (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 12:56PM

For the mini lathes like the jet, delta or psi, you do not turn grips on the blank. They are wood lathes, so they have a headstock and tailstock. Most people use the mandrels that are avaliable from Andy Dear. They work great and it is much easier than turning a grip while mounted on the rod.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 01:46PM

Keep one thing in mind about turning grips on the blank, A screw up can cost you a blank!! Also if you screw up part of the grip while shaping, you are faced with removing the old one from the blank (at the cost of probably wrecking it) and make a new one.

By shapeing/finishing on a mandrel, the worst that you can do is mess up the grip and you can often fix that. I have done both and prefer to glue up and shape/finish grips on a mandrel, ream and install on blank after it is finished
Just my opinion!

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.vitalchek.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 02:29PM

Jason et al,

Turning on a manderal is not easier than turning on the blank? If so ...please explain.

A handle assembled on the blank is a much better handle (structurly) than one done on a manderal and then reamed and retro fitted in the blank.

Of cource I'm speaking on terms of Tennessee handles and not short pieces of cork.

I have fixed enough "crushed" Tennessee handles to see the caveot. If reamed too much on the inside you create a cavity that leads to ultimate failure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster