I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thank You and the next question is
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 27, 2001 08:06PM

Tom and Dorge thanks for the commentary regarding my question about blank stresses. Nice to know I'm not as"as high tech dumb" as I thought. Next question: where do I find some explaination,theory and practical application of the spiral guide system. The only thing I vaguely recall about this is that MANY MOONS ago there was an article in SWS Magazine about them. Seems to me it had to do with downrigger fishing in the PNW for salmon and lake trout,could be wrong on this. I think Fenwick, before Berkley & led by A gentleman named Green(e),Tom?, was looking into this design but don't recall that it was offered for any other venue. Is this method discussed in Clemens 2nd book? Are there any back issues of Rodmaker with info, what about Rod Crafters? Just point me in the right direction with some names and titles,please.
Hey Dorge,question sir,its nice to know that one can just heat a guide ring frame and be able to pop out or change a ring (1) If one could buy just the ring,(2) If the heat wasn't transferred to the thread and finish not to mention the blank. I'm noy trying to be an SA just don't see where its so great for the average rod owner/builder unless I'm missing a point somewhere, which is entirely likely. Again I think that it's a great indication of how far Fuji has come and certainly speaks to their commitment to improvement through R&D but in practical down to earth fishing terms how does it translate,especially in terms of cost. I don't know many/any fishermen who are going to pay $600.00 + for a fishing rod, not in the US. You frequently comment that here in the US we get 2nd rate Diawa tackle built in Taiwan,well I expect the average US fisherman cannot and would not shell out the kind of $ we're talking about. I think its significant that you mentioned that in Japan a fisherman with a certain kind of rod with guides would be a laughing stock and that isn't at all acceptable in Japanese society. Well as a fisherman I ain't concerned with FACE.
Do appreciate your technical commentary; you obviously speak from knowledge and experience. Warren

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thank You and the next question is
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 27, 2001 08:14PM

I know RodCrafters has had many articles on the spiral wrap system. RodMaker Magazine has had two really fantastic articles on the spiral wrap system in just recent months. If you don't take it you really should. You have no idea what you've been missing. Go to their website via the link on this page and puruse the back issues to find both issues that had these articles. One was on Ralph O'Quinn's excellent system and one was on what some people call the revolver system. The spiral wrap is for real! You'll never go back once you try it. I sure won't!

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: July 28, 2001 01:37AM

Go back for some later coments to Dick French. He is RodCrafter and own Clemens Tackle
If I can be of any help email me at warren321@yahoo.com
Bob

Posted by: Cam Clark (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 28, 2001 11:58AM

RodCrafters Journal has three relatively recent articles on the spiral ("Roberts") placement for guides. The most recent two are in the April-May-June 2000 issue (page 28), the Jan-Feb-Mar 2001 issue, page 21, and (earlier) in the July-Aug 1992 issue, a summary of all previous articles (1975 through 1991) published on the subject. You can get these back issues from Dick French at RodCrafters.
Cam Clark

spiral wraps
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 28, 2001 07:09PM

September/October 2000 and March/April 2000 Issues of RodMaker have the best two articles I have read on the wraps. I have tried several methods and feel Ralph O'Quinn's set-up suits my fishing style the very best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster