I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap again!
Posted by: Steve (---.akzo-nobel.com)
Date: June 16, 2001 08:22PM

After talking with Don Morton and Billy40 about the spiral wrap butt guide placement I've come to the conclusion that when they say use four guides for the transition from top to bottom and place those guides before the bend in the rod that they mean before the bend of the particular action of that rod. Like, on a fast action casting rod you would put the transition guides before the bend of the upper 1/3 of the blank and then soforth and so on for moderate and slow actions. I'm asking this because the rod will bend through out and I wanna make sure I put the guides in the right place or at least in a good starting point for testing and to save some aggrivation. Any input will be helpful.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap again!
Posted by: Don Morton (208.62.56.---)
Date: June 16, 2001 09:48PM

Steve you are somewhat right. The bend of the rod will dictate how fast you get around the rod. For example, a progressive taper that bends well toward the handle will need to have the guides move around the rod closer to the butt. You can tell the set-up point by placing the rod in a vertical position and bending the tip to a point that is 90 degrees to the vertical rod. Even with a rod that bends all the way to the handle, when you press the tip to 90 degrees it will only bend about half the way down. Keep in mind that you are looking for the point where the rod bend about 1/2 inch from the vertical as the start of the bend. This is where the set-up guide will go.

Once the set-up guide is in place, place the tip section guides on the rod with tape and run your line from the reel to the set-up guide and through the other guides to the tip and tie it off. Your spiral guides will go on the line from the set-up guide around the rod to the top of the rod (where the reel is). Keep in mind that you want to place the guides where the line will run as straight as possible from the reel to the set-up guide. The article by Ralph O'quinn in the Rod Maker Magazine, Ralph uses the tip section of a rod to get the guides lined up to keep the line running straight.

A very fast tip rod may need one or more guides at the 180 degree position as the set-up gides will be closer to the tip. If you are still having problems with the set-up email me or call and I will send you a more detailed explanation and/or try to explain on the phone

Hang in there, it will work out, Don

Re: spiral wrap again!
Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: June 17, 2001 08:06AM

Thanks Don! I'm sure I'll be contacting you again.

Thanks for helping me out,
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster