I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

inlays/sanding on hypolon grips
Posted by: Buzz B (216.114.19.---)
Date: July 25, 2001 05:38PM

I am building a set of 6 downrigger rods (Great Lakes) for a customer
who NOW wants a foam handle in blue with a grey diagonal inlay.
I have some, but little experience with EVA inlays and trim rings. I turn my handles on my Custom Power Wrap.

Here is what I want to do. I am planning on purchasing some tapered Hypolon grips in blue. I am going to make about a 30 degree cut in the butt and foregrip, and glue in a thin piece of gray Custom Grip. Glue it all on a mandrel or the rod blank, and turn it down using dry
wall screen.

Having never worked with Hypolon before am I going to have any problems sanding the Customgrip side by side with the Hypolon? Is one much softer than the other? Will what i plan work? I am planning on buying a couple of extra grips so I can experiment. But if this won't work to begin with, I need to look at something else.
thanks for the help,
Buzz Butters
B & B Custom Flies and Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: inlays/sanding on hypolon grips
Posted by: Jeff (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: July 25, 2001 06:52PM

There are always problems with sanding two materials of unequal density but it sholdn't be too bad.
I would get the colors you need in Custom Grip II ( a superior material to hypalon in my opinion) cut glue and turn, You will have to turn down the Custom Grip inlay anyway so why not go with the same material and have a more uniform result?

You should be able to turn the Custom Grip with no problem but the pieces and dust seem to take on a static charge and stick to everything. A shop-vac will pick the stuff up.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.aurora1.co.home.com)
Date: July 25, 2001 07:54PM

Jeff...I couldn't have said it better! I will add that it would be really beneficial to do this outdoors if his CPW is at all mobile.I would also have someone holding the shop vac nozzle.ESPECIALLY indoors!

Posted by: R.A. Martin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2001 08:37PM

Out here on the left coast we use mostly hypalon for the durability factor. It wears like iron. It cuts and sands fairly easily and it available in many colors. I'd stick to the same type material for all my pieces if it was me.

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: July 25, 2001 08:51PM

Not too sure about Hypalon and EVA, but do know it is the grip of many out on the West Coast. I know this workds nicely for EVA and Customgrip - to get a really smooth baby's bottom finish with these grips, guse a piece of denim jeans as the last material when sanding. This tip was given to me by Bernie Cohen, the master of grip inlays.

Billy

Posted by: Ed (---.hvi.net)
Date: July 26, 2001 06:26AM

Buzz,
Go to www.mudhole.com/docs/inlay.htm
Bernie Cohen is a pro with inlays. Good luck. Ed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster