I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil
Posted by: Peter (---.aalbkom.dk)
Date: July 25, 2001 02:21AM

I am considering fitting Rec Recoil snakes on my next rod, but before i spend a lot of money - are they worth the extra $$ ?

Thank you
Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil
Posted by: Bob Petti (32.97.110.---)
Date: July 25, 2001 07:38AM

Just curious - what about them makes you consider them?

If weight is a concern, maybe the PacBay "thin wire" snakes will be a good lower cost alternative to the RECOIL guides?

I'm not saying the RECOIL guides are not good guides or worth their money, but if what you're after is weight reduction, there are other alternatives before you step up to the high cost of those specialty guides.

Of course, if you want their unique flexability and durability, then go for it. I've only cast one rod with those guides and it did feel very light and crisp in the hand, but I attribute that more to the quality of the blank than the guides themselves. Light guides will never hurt a blank, but they won't turn a corolla into a corvette.

You might send REC a note asking for a sample guide. I know they've included them in every order I've received from them this past year. Then you could decide for yourself.

You might also look at the tungsten wire guides from Snake Brand. They are *very* good guides and less than half the price of the RECOIL guides.

Bob

Posted by: Peter (---.aalbkom.dk)
Date: July 25, 2001 08:47AM

Well Bob,

my main reason for considering Recoil snakes is that they have no surface coating and therefore there is no coating to get worn ?

I know the Snake Brand snakes - I received sampels a while back - the black nickel and bronze are very nice - too bad the bronze does not come i tip-tops and strippers as well. The crome snakes are slightly thicker than black/bronze. The "teardrop" shape is beautifull.

Michael told me that he is working with a new guy to make thinner crome plating.

For the rods which I will build with black guides/seats etc. I will definately go for S.B. snakes and tip top with a Mildrum stripper. Just liked the Recoil idea with no coating.

Peter

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.co.us.ibm.com)
Date: July 25, 2001 09:05AM

Re: your 2nd point.

I can't believe that could ever happen, nor have I heard a report where it has actually happened in the field. I guess it proves the old saying - if it gets repeated enough it becomes a fact. If you think about it hard enough, it's laughable that someone would believe that. The guides on a fly rod are never under that much stress. I mean - sheesh. How silly.

Sully - you should know better than to pass along such rumours, heh heh.

Bob

Re: In Print?!!
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.ny.us.ibm.com)
Date: July 25, 2001 12:50PM

They are not undersized.

This photo shows two snakes guides, the REC RECOIL on the right and a standard snake on the left.

[www.globalflyfisher.com]

Bob

Re: In Print?!!
Posted by: Chris Cahill (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2001 07:24PM

Back to the original Question, I've put the Recoil guides on my last three rods, 2 SageSP's and a Winston. In short they are super! Very light. pre-ground feet, and beautiful. I would love to try to "deform" them with a trout, but can attest that they have served me well with up to 5#'ers. Go ahead and use them on your rod, you won't be sorry and you won't ask yourself in the future what if?

check the specs
Posted by: Wes (---.worldaccessnet.com)
Date: August 02, 2001 01:04PM

Bob,
I wish I had kept the print out of the REC recoil specs. A while ago, REC posted the specs for their Recoil guides alongside the specs for the "other brand". The specs for the "other brand" was surprisingly close to the specs of the Hopkins & Holloway snake guides. They did a straight across comparison (size 3 to size 3) on wire guage, weight, etc... Unfortunately, they did not print the overall height and width for the "other brand". They did, however list the specs for the Recoil guides. Guess what? The Recoil size 6 was almost as small as a Hopkins & Holloway size 3. Now, I know that each manufacturer uses different sizes (pac bay probably uses sizes different than either of these other manufacturers), but I think that was a valuable piece of information that was left off. And while you're at it, compare something that is similar, like one of the Hopkins & Holloway thin wire or the Pac Bay thin wire guides - and they're still a fraction of the price of the Recoil guides.
Wes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster